585,931 active members*
5,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: total newbie

total newbie

hey guys...i am in need of some help...my boss recently bought a tl-25 withought any of us employees knowing jack about cnc programming...i was kind of put on the spot for the job because of my previous computer programming experience...a couple of us took hass's 2 day programming and operating class...but i have come to an issue in which i can not resolve...we are trying to do a simple boreing program and, using the graphics program, when we run this we go from taking 8 thousandths consecutively to all of a sudden taking a hundred thousandths jump to reach our final OD....i would greatly appreciate any help that i could get on this issue or any ideas...like i said...i have about 3 days working on this machine...

Boring is for ID.

Do a screen shot of the parameter screen and upload it here. Also post the code that it outputs to MDI.

Probably you have net set the U value for finishing correctly.

ok...which parameter screen do you need a picture of?

Posting a copy of your program will be more helpful. Are you using the G71 rough turning cycle followed by G70 finishing? If so what values do you have for D, U and W?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1985 View Post
    ok...which parameter screen do you need a picture of?
    I am assuming you are using either Visual Quick Code or Intuitive Programming System to create your program since you said "using the graphics program." I just wanted to see what values you were plugging in that was resulting in unwanted G-code. I know I used the word parameters and that probably confused you. You probably do not know there are at least 4 different types of parameters for CNC machines. There are machine parameters, setting parameters, variable (parameters), and machining (G-code) parameters. I just want to talk about how you made the program you want to run and how you got to where you are now.

By the way, I agree, your employer is an idiot. As soon as you master this new machine, get a 25% raise or go find a new job for more money. You will be glad you did.

I am using the G71 and G70...i have tried excluding the G70 and ended up with the same result...we have also tried to use the visual quick code and the machine did the same thing... i have messed with the numbers a lot but our starting values were D 0.08 U 0.01 and W 0.01...and i meant that the graphing program i am talking about is just graphing our code...i am thinking that there is something in a parameter or setting that is not right...seeing as i have re-written the code 5 or 6 times with different variables, taking out the G 70 among a number of other things...i will be at work tomorrow so i can get a photo of whatever you think might help...

Do you have a drawing/dimensions for what you are doing? Starting diameter, final diameter, any chamfers, depth? If you give these I can write a G71, G70 routine that will work on my machine and you can compare it with yours.

we are just trying to bore our soft jaws to get started...our first part is a 3 inch diameter so we are planning on going to 2.997 and a depth of 0.940 and we are using a section of 2 inch solid stock for the jaws to clamp on to...also we got a boring ring in on friday...but im not completely sure how that is supposed to work

%
    O01111 (BORE JAWS)
    N100 G00 (BORE ID)
    G20
    G40
    G80
    G90
    G99
    G00 G53 X0.
    G00 G53 Z0.
    T606
    G50 S2000
    G96 S450 M03
    M08
    G54 G00 X1.5 Z0.3
    G71 P401 Q402 U-0.005 W0.001 D0.015 F0.005
    N401 G00 X3.047
    G01 Z0. F0.004
    G01 X2.997 Z-0.020
    N402 G01 Z-0.940
    G70 P401 Q402
    G00 Z0.3 M09
    G00 G53 Z0.
    G00 G53 X0. M05
    M30
    %

wow...i am really confused...where are you coming up with your numbers?... i will try it out first thing in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by matt1985 View Post
    ..also we got a boring ring in on friday...but im not completely sure how that is supposed to work
    The boring ring fits on the front of the jaws with pins in the counterbore for the jaw bolts. This way when the jaws are closed they are loaded in the same manner as when they are in use. This means that any clearance between the jaws and chuck body is taken up in the same manner as in use.

I came up with some numbers EXACTLY the same way I would have if I were running a manual lathe with a DRO.

You gave the bore size and depth. I plugged the numbers into the pattern needed.

thanks for all your help guys...i tried running the program that you gave me...but it didnt like it for some reason...but i just started from scratch and for whatever reason it ran without any problems...so i am actually running some parts now! I understand that i have got a lot to learn, and like i said, i dont even have a week of working with this machine...but now i have a basic template for future bore jobs...i will come back when my next issue arises...thanks again.