584,833 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

combining 2 stl objects

I undrstand that Destproto is a cam software to write machine code. I am not a Cad user. I am also a hobbyist. My question is what if I need to combine a couple of stl objects to make a design. How can this be done or do I need a second program. I am retired so I cannot afford to have custom models made.I pland on buying from some sites on the web that sell models.

Thank you for your time.

It sounds like you're going to need a CAD program to do this. DeskProto only will import one STL file at a time, but you can easily combine them in most CAD programs. I don't think you'll get very far with this hobby without the ability to do at least some CAD work. It's not really that hard to do simple things. Here's a free 3d CAD program you can download: DAZ Hexagon

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

You should be able to combine them in MeshLab as well. A free open source program for STL files.

MeshLab
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Thank you for the replies. I did D/L Hexagon. Just have not used it yet. I will also D/l Meshlab and see which will be better for me.

I just want to keep it simple. I will try these out. I just want to get the models and if I need it a program to combine them.

I think I am on the way now.

Thank You

PS: I did d/l a couple of demo Cad programs but they only let me import 1 stl or obj file. I think they expect you to create in the software not just group things.

You can also combine several STL files in DeskProto.
    Importing one STL file is done using command File > Load geometry.
    When you call this same command again you will see that it now is named Add geometry, allowing you to import a second STL file. An extra dialog will be displayed, allowing you to correctly position the second geometry relative to the first (note the handy Preview option). This way you can use as many STL files as you need.

Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennings View Post
    You can also combine several STL files in DeskProto.
    Importing one STL file is done using command File > Load geometry.
    When you call this same command again you will see that it now is named Add geometry, allowing you to import a second STL file. An extra dialog will be displayed, allowing you to correctly position the second geometry relative to the first (note the handy Preview option). This way you can use as many STL files as you need.

Lex.
    I have tried this.The second file sits next to the first. When I select it which is not easy. I get the control for the first model. The dialog box for transform always has the first model in it. I will keep working

The option to add STL files in DeskProto is very basic: all models are combined into one large geometry collection. So after adding you can no longer distinguish between model 1 and model 2. The dialog "Add geometry transformation" with it's preview button is the only positioning tool that is available: after pressing OK you can no longer make changes.
    The Preview button shows the combined models, the transformation options in this dialog only apply to the second model.

Hope that this will help, Lex.

Thank you all for thinking about this. I have found my solution. Meshlab does not do what I want either. What does work for what I want is Blender. Now all I need to do is learn to work with it. I do not need all the things Blender can do.Just a couple of sub sets.

I load my stl's move them place them where I want group and save as a stl done.

Thank You:banana:

You should be able to combine them in MeshLab as well. A free open source program for STL files.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Tablet PC China
    Tablet Android