584,863 active members*
4,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Z level finishing does not finish final depth pass

Z level finishing does not finish final depth pass

It does not finish the last pass at final depth. It stops about an inch or so from completing then either goes to the next flat or stops if it is the end. It does not finish either at the level of the pockets nor at the bottom of the part.

Attached is the .xfa file zipped.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help a couple of threads ago to get me to this point.

Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front 2 small.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thomas,
    Perhaps I am not following you but it seems to simulate fine here ???

Rest Robot looks OK too.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LF-2.jpg  

Are you referring to a problem while machining ?

Ken

Thomas,

On the final pass change the Approach Style to Radial and enter an appropriate ramp on/off radius. This method will also provide better results on this type of part.

OneCNC-USA
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

With OneCNC-USA suggestion I see what you are talking about now.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCNC
    Thomas,

On the final pass change the Approach Style to Radial and enter an appropriate ramp on/off radius. This method will also provide better results on this type of part.

OneCNC-USA
    Yes it did fine in simulate when I used the radius but I do not like the plunge it has to do into 1/2" of uncut stock to get to the proper depth before the radius in.

Why doesn't follow boundary ramp in work?

Thomas

What radius are you using ?

Ken

Thomas,

See this file..you can use radial approach. If you sketch a start point, you can force it to plunge into an area that does not have stock left..

Ramp boundary is really not for a part like this..as it ramps to depth and then returns to the start of the ramp..so what ever was under the "ramp area" does not get cut...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sketch_start_1.PNG  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by wms
    Thomas,

See this file..you can use radial approach. If you sketch a start point, you can force it to plunge into an area that does not have stock left..

Ramp boundary is really not for a part like this..as it ramps to depth and then returns to the start of the ramp..so what ever was under the "ramp area" does not get cut...
    OK, thanks, I will try this when I get home.

One more thing. When the program is finished with the first flat (the pockets) it goes out to the boundary of the second flat (perimeter of the part) and continues to machine. The problem is that from the first flat to the second in x/y there is stock material that is full thickness. The 1/2" bit plunges into over a half inch of stock. Is there a way around this?

Thomas

Thomas,

You just need to adjust your boundary for the first operation to clear away that material..

Thomas,

You just need to adjust your boundary for the first operation to clear away that material..
    Sounds easy don't it????????

Thomas

Thomas,

Can you show me using this which you did for me the other day? It gouges on the second flat here too.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=27

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas,

I can't see any "gouging"...

Gouging is went it cuts in to the model..non of that here...

How big of a piece of stock are you using??

Here is the file back with the boundaries offset by .500..and the tool paths to go with them..

Thomas,

I can't see any "gouging"...

Gouging is went it cuts in to the model..non of that here...

How big of a piece of stock are you using??

Here is the file back with the boundaries offset by .500..and the tool paths to go with them..
    My terminology for gouging is cutting into stock material that has not been brought down to proper level pass by pass. The stock I will be using is just big enough for the piece to be cut out of it.

I got the offset to work on my drawing too. Thanks. I understand, I think how this works on the perimiter but I do not understand why the cutter does not gouge (your definition) the part towards the center. Why doesn't it follow the extended boundry there and cut into the piece?

A good day is a day when you have learned something. I have had a few good days recently with this group.

Thanks,

Thomas