585,660 active members*
3,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > No Exit Moves After Finish!
Page 1 of 2 12

No Exit Moves After Finish!

I am doing a test piece in my lathe, but the job will be done in the lathe eventually. In the test I have a rough and finish pass with the same tool.

After the roughing pass it rapids out to home position and then goes back into the part for the finish pass. The problem is that after the finish pass it just stops and does not send the tool home. It actually stays engaged on the part at Z-1.9.

Am I doing something wrong with the software or what? I was thinking for a minute that it was the post, but the exit from the part should be in Bob-CAD should it not? I have tried several Rapid exit modes, but none finish the part.

I have attached the file for you to see. I'm running V-23 on this.

Thanks----Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

At least in milling if you want a tool move after finish of part that has to been set up in your post processor. You can edit it and re save as slightly different versions so you have you original intact

.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZr7I5lTH8]How to make a simple modification to a post processor BobCAD V23 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video on V23
    I have the V23 lathe cds and I think it is going to tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Hope this helps.
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    I am doing a test piece in my lathe, but the job will be done in the lathe eventually. In the test I have a rough and finish pass with the same tool.

After the roughing pass it rapids out to home position and then goes back into the part for the finish pass. The problem is that after the finish pass it just stops and does not send the tool home. It actually stays engaged on the part at Z-1.9.

Am I doing something wrong with the software or what? I was thinking for a minute that it was the post, but the exit from the part should be in Bob-CAD should it not? I have tried several Rapid exit modes, but none finish the part.

I have attached the file for you to see. I'm running V-23 on this.

Thanks----Mike
    Mike

Ran your file. Looks like it`s that "System Compensation" bug again

Just go to "Edit" of your feature and under the "Rough" tab turn "System Compensation" OFF, you should then get the Rapid away generated.

Here are the last few lines of code generated here after turning it off

Z-2. F.001
    Z-1.9 F.001
    G0 X6.
    Z12.
    G97
    G30 U0 W0
    M1
    M30

Regards

Yes, I know how to modify a post, in fact I have modified this one twice already, but a lathe is different. On my mill all that is needed is to retract the tool and then move the table. Works 99.9% of the time unless you are using special fixtures etc.

But, on a lathe you have OD and ID. The rapid move out of a bore is very different from an OD turning operation. On an OD you move X then Z. On a bore you move Z then X. In each operation in the cam tree on the lathe, you have a rapids option just for that reason.

Here it does not even retract the tool out of the material, the tool is still engaged when the spindle is stopped and the program ends. You can't write a post that will understand and do the right moves at that point. It has to be Bob-CAD that does that. It should retract the tool and return to a preset or standard place like the tool change position.

Thanks, but it is not a post modification.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Mike

Ran your file. Looks like it`s that "System Compensation" bug again

Just go to "Edit" of your feature and under the "Rough" tab turn "System Compensation" OFF, you should then get the Rapid away generated.

Here are the last few lines of code generated here after turning it off

Z-2. F.001
    Z-1.9 F.001
    G0 X6.
    Z12.
    G97
    G30 U0 W0
    M1
    M30

Regards

Well, that did it, BUT, I want system comp, what do I do now? Is this a constant bug, has it not been addressed yet?

Mike

Well, that did it, BUT, I want system comp, what do I do now? Is this a constant bug, has it not been addressed yet?

Mike
    V23 "fixes" are all finished, last build was Build 1812, so no there won`t be any fix for V23.

I have never used that system comp, always used the comps in the machine control, much better/reliable anyway, just run "straight" code, always easier to follow on screen at the machine anyway

I don`t have V24 or V25 Lathe so I can`t say whether it has been adressed in those versions or not.

As far as I am aware there haven`t been any signifcant advances on the Lathe side since V23, happy to be proved wrong though, just wait for Al to grab this one

Regards

V23 "fixes" are all finished, last build was Build 1812, so no there won`t be any fix for V23.

I have never used that system comp, always used the comps in the machine control, much better/reliable anyway, just run "straight" code, always easier to follow on screen at the machine anyway

I don`t have V24 or V25 Lathe so I can`t say whether it has been adressed in those versions or not.

As far as I am aware there haven`t been any signifcant advances on the Lathe side since V23, happy to be proved wrong though, just wait for Al to grab this one

Regards
    I tried all kinds of things with system comp off and none plotted correctly. here must be something that can be done!

Mike

I tried all kinds of things with system comp off and none plotted correctly. here must be something that can be done!

Mike
    Not sure I`m following you Mike, without the system Compensation on the toolpath will follow the geometry faithfully, there is usually no problem on that side of things.

The only issue I can see is that you have a 0.04 tool and a 0.039 groove in the program, you will also need to remember that the type of tool you have selected is always cutting with the front left corner as the "lead" point and the software doesn`t change from using one side of the tool to the other, you may need to adjust your geometry to move the cut over in the Z so it is in the right place.

Regards

Not sure I`m following you Mike, without the system Compensation on the toolpath will follow the geometry faithfully, there is usually no problem on that side of things.

The only issue I can see is that you have a 0.04 tool and a 0.039 groove in the program, you will also need to remember that the type of tool you have selected is always cutting with the front left corner as the "lead" point and the software doesn`t change from using one side of the tool to the other, you may need to adjust your geometry to move the cut over in the Z so it is in the right place.

Regards
    No I'm good, I got it to work by using separate features, one for rough and one for finish. The grooves are actually .039" plus .002" -.000". I never get open tolerances from these people! Most of the rest is plus .0000 Minus .0005. Always fun!

I tried single ops on the part and they were good, it is the combo rough and finish that screws up. I guess that is the way I'll have to go.

So it appears that the bug only come in in the combo features????

Thanks for your help, hope things are good on your side of the pond!-----Mike

Problem No Exit

Hello Upon careful inspection of your part it looks like the program did not finish completely. I have done some adjustment and I am attaching a copy of your file plus a copy of the NC program for you to look and try.

Let me know what happens

Regards

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

No I'm good, I got it to work by using separate features, one for rough and one for finish. The grooves are actually .039" plus .002" -.000". I never get open tolerances from these people! Most of the rest is plus .0000 Minus .0005. Always fun!

I tried single ops on the part and they were good, it is the combo rough and finish that screws up. I guess that is the way I'll have to go.

So it appears that the bug only come in in the combo features????

Thanks for your help, hope things are good on your side of the pond!-----Mike
    To be honest I have never delved very deep into what does affect what, just found that turning the system compensation off was easier

Usual stuff here, we get all your "half used" storms so rain, wind, cold and miserable about covers it here

Work wise OK thanks, probably one of the best/worst (?) things I did a couple of years ago was to spread the word I had already passed the "legal" retirement age and might hang up my vernier, seems to be I am getting work just to keep me around

I have a very good long time customer and friend in Italy who lives on the coast in the south of the country who keeps asking me to retire there, I have to admit that as every year seems to get colder and damper to my old bones it looks more and more attractive

If you have Google Earth just put this in the search and take a look down on the sea front :-

pizzo Vibo Valentia, italy

Enjoy

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jr29_1999 View Post
    Hello Upon careful inspection of your part it looks like the program did not finish completely. I have done some adjustment and I am attaching a copy of your file plus a copy of the NC program for you to look and try.

Let me know what happens

Regards

John
    Thanks John,

It was just a test to set up my new lathe. There are changes to be made to the drawing and all yet. I just wanted it for a test program to send and receive data via RS232 (completed setting comm. up yesterday) and to run on a sample piece of material when I figure how to set up the tools.

I'll give yours a go when I get to work tomorrow.

Mike

To be honest I have never delved very deep into what does affect what, just found that turning the system compensation off was easier

Usual stuff here, we get all your "half used" storms so rain, wind, cold and miserable about covers it here

Work wise OK thanks, probably one of the best/worst (?) things I did a couple of years ago was to spread the word I had already passed the "legal" retirement age and might hang up my vernier, seems to be I am getting work just to keep me around

I have a very good long time customer and friend in Italy who lives on the coast in the south of the country who keeps asking me to retire there, I have to admit that as every year seems to get colder and damper to my old bones it looks more and more attractive

If you have Google Earth just put this in the search and take a look down on the sea front :-

Enjoy

Regards
    Ha, another seasoned citizen like me. Just turned 65 ten days ago. I retired for a few years then got bored and broke. Lost my shirt because of the recession here. Where I live got hit almost the worst in the nation with the housing collapse. My little town was the second fastest growing area in the country next to Las Vegas, Nevada. Absolutely killed us here.

Opened my current shop about 1 1/2 years ago now. Came about 30-45 days from closing about 5 or 6 months ago, now I am swamped. Been working 7 days a week, about 8-14 hours a day for months now. Much of my work is from the company that fired me! I butted heads with the new shop foreman they hired because he didn't know what he was doing. They brought him in from Columbia and had loaned him money to buy a house and such, so they fired me to the amazement of the rest of the company!!! Six months later they fired him for incompetence and theft and wanted me to come back. I told them no, because I had opened my own shop, but told them I could do work for them!!!! Now they are my biggest customer!

I live in South Florida, so I don't know about cold anymore. Kind of miss it though, as I used to live in the Midwest of the States. Here it is: Winter--warm, Spring--hot, Summer--G** Damn hot and Fall--still damn hot. Almost November and we are mid to hi 80's. And, we get first hand storms! Got a direct hit by two hurricanes about 6 years ago and then another couple a year later. First time my area had been hit in over 40 years. I'd be happy to wait another forty now. Really don't mind them that much, but they are a lot of work and hassle. Worst part is the local governments think they know what to do and curfewing everything. They did learn a little after the first one though!!!!!!

I will Google your local, but if you need a little escape from the cold, you are welcome to visit me here in Sunny South Florida. I'm about 90 miles from Orlando. Just me and my little puppy.

Thanks for you assistance and I think we have found the work around.

Cheers my friend---Mike

Enjoy

Regards
    Googled it and it is a beautiful area!

Check out mine: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Both are near the beach!

Mike

Six months later they fired him for incompetence and theft and wanted me to come back. I told them no, because I had opened my own shop, but told them I could do work for them!!!! Now they are my biggest customer!
    Hahahaaaa. "NO SOUP FOR YOU!

This is classic. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hahahaaaa. "NO SOUP FOR YOU!

This is classic. Congrats.
    Okay, now this is officially and old farts thread. Hey, we have to keep going right? We have to stick together too, but we could not be much farther apart!!!!!! Hawaii, the UK and Florida! Talk about oceans apart--------

Mike

Hi Mike,
    With regards to the original file you posted, if you add a value to the leads-lead out-x lead out, like .01, what happens to the finish pass?

but we could not be much farther apart!!!!!!
    Yet here we are!

Ha, another seasoned citizen like me.
    Like that, sounds a lot better than "that old guy", birthdays in the same month eh, I do have a couple extra years on you though

Six months later they fired him for incompetence and theft and wanted me to come back. I told them no, because I had opened my own shop, but told them I could do work for them!!!! Now they are my biggest customer!
    Ha ha ha, nice one Mike, that must be incredibly satisfying, well done and keep up the good work

Sounds a bit too hot for me over there but if I ever do get out that way I will certainly give you a call.

Regards

Hi Mike,
    With regards to the original file you posted, if you add a value to the leads-lead out-x lead out, like .01, what happens to the finish pass?!
    Did you see this one???

Did you see this one???
    No, I did not really notice what you said before.

I just went to my drawing and changed the rough to the the .01 leads you mentioned and it sent the tool to the home position after the rough and then sent it right back to the end of the rough pass and THEN to the start position for the finish pass. Kind of strange!

As an added neat addition to my ex-employer story, I just got a $30,000.00 P.O. from them today. Since I'm paid for on my equipment, that ensures my existence for the next year and more, as it had a year two statement too. Now they may want to give me enough EDM work that I may buy an inexpensive EDM machine.

All in all, they are really good people, who were put in a awkward position by the idiot they hired. Ah, the other guy, not me! I may be an idiot, but I'm an honest one.

Thanks to all for your help. Now I need some sleep.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12