585,764 active members*
4,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MOTORCYCLE CYLINDERS from BRONZE

Howdy!
    My name is Tommy and recently purchased a '63 BSA A10 Super Rocket to add to my collection, and am preparing to completely tear down the engine and restore it. I've been tossing around the idea in my head of having some new cylinders machined, similar to the ones that Falcon did on their "Black" Vincent:

Screen shot 2012-09-24 at 7.09.09 PM by LumberingGiant, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure that they were machined from bronze, and probably sleeved with something else. My question is, about how much would something like this run? I really just want to carbon copy the original jugs, but out of a polished bronze, and maybe go .20+ on the piston diameter.

So with a block of bronze stock, the CAD redesign, and the actual machine work, how realistic is this for a garage builder on a budget?

Any help would be awesome!

Thank you!
    /t

INMHO they surely have some kind of sleeve inside, guessing steel press fitted (like rc engines or aluminium re-bored or custom built ones).

Having the actual cylinder, maybe, and certainly speaking from the ignorance, how about casting them, and then polishing and boring to the sleeve diameter?

A block of bronze that size is not for a builder on a tight budget.

I can't say I like the look, either. You could gold-plate the wheels and fit big jewels on the handllebar ends.

Quote Originally Posted by ttatham View Post
    Howdy!
    My name is Tommy and recently purchased a '63 BSA A10 Super Rocket to add to my collection, and am preparing to completely tear down the engine and restore it. I've been tossing around the idea in my head of having some new cylinders machined, similar to the ones that Falcon did on their "Black" Vincent:

Screen shot 2012-09-24 at 7.09.09 PM by LumberingGiant, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure that they were machined from bronze, and probably sleeved with something else. My question is, about how much would something like this run? I really just want to carbon copy the original jugs, but out of a polished bronze, and maybe go .20+ on the piston diameter.

So with a block of bronze stock, the CAD redesign, and the actual machine work, how realistic is this for a garage builder on a budget?

Any help would be awesome!

Thank you!
    /t
    Have you considered the possibility of the cylinders being plated as opposed to being made from bronze? To my knowledge bronze does not have any superior quality when it comes to heat dissapation.

RFB

Bronze anodized aluminum, send them to LA sleeve and have inserts put in or nicki plated.