584,814 active members*
5,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 1 driver 2 motors 2 directions?

1 driver 2 motors 2 directions?

WOW, newbie here (1st post) and astounded at the number of forums/ subject on this site!! fantastic.

So after planning and trying for years I'm almost at the stage of completing my first cnc router/mill. But after finding a few good examples, on here and other DIY machines, I'm making a few alterations to my design.

For the Long (X) axis, i'm using a rack and pinion, and origionally I planned to use one stepper and a drive shaft to send drive the the opposite side of the machine. I didn't like this as it ment lots of pullies, and always wondered about the twist in the relatively thin driveshaft and tramping etc. I'm now much prefering the idea of using an additional stepper, so one on each side.

To keep costs down, is it possible to power both motors from one motor driverl unit? the design means they would have to turn in opposite directions. Is it possible to reverse the direction of one stepper motor with the wiring? I think I have read that this is possible but cant find where I read it, any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I'm using the following (all from Motion Control Products in the UK ++ Motion Control Products ++ (Powered By StoreSprite.com) )

Stepper motors: FL86STH118-4208A
    Stepper driver: MSD542
    Power supply: SP407

Many thanks, Doug

To keep costs down, is it possible to power both motors from one motor driverl unit?
    It's not recommended, and won't work well above low rpms.

Is it possible to reverse the direction of one stepper motor with the wiring?
    Yes, just swap either the A with the A-, or the B and B-, but NOT both.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks ger21, would you recommend going back to a drive shaft link side to side then or would giving the extra motor it's own driver help?

Cheers

Two drivers, and the wires. Certainly easier than the mechanical solution.
    Just figure a nice way to start them both at zero. Mach3 can slave multiple axis.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.