584,829 active members*
4,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Tool Setter Reference Tool

Okuma Tool Setter Reference Tool

Hello! Making progression on getting this LB15 with 7000 up and running (thanks in part to help from some of you here on the forum...thanks much)! Now I'm stuck on getting the Touch Setter referenced. The Special Functions manual states the first Reference tool must be established first. But there's no explanation as how to? The control has an F4 function in Tool Offsets called GAUGE CAL, but no reference to it in the Operations Manual! I'lltake any and all suggestions, hints, etc. with help in getting the Setter functional! Thanks!

The reference tool is just the tool you would normally use when re-setting the ZERO OFFSET. Set that tool manually. Normally Z is 0 and X will be set as per the usual method by taking a cut on a piece of bar, measuring the size and then CAL 123.456 WRITE etc
    That becomes the reference tool.

there's some info for the Touch Setter on page 102 of the Special Functions Manual No. 3 (if you have that) but it's a bit cryptic. It mentions a G30 Gauging Cycle Subprogram and it says....
    Sensor Position Z = Skip Position Z - Reference Tool Offset Z - Turret Offset Z
    Sensor Position X = Skip Position X - Reference Tool Offset X - Turret Offset X

I can scan those pages if you need them but I don't think it will solve the lack of information problem.

Do you have the manual Touch Setter operation panel with 4 buttons and a sensor contact light?
    There are many interlocks that have to be satisfied before the Touch Setter will work. The manual has a list of 10 items.

What happens if you just press GAUGE CAL? Any command prompt or alarm? You may be able to guess how it works.
    It looks to me like you just press one of the 4 buttons on the Touch Setter operation panel which causes the Gauging Cycle subprogram to run and the current tool is automatically set.

It may be easier to just set the tools manually. You could manually set the entire turret full of tools in 10 minutes or less.....

Thanks for your time and the info fordav11! Yes, this has the 4-button manual (or automatic by EIA...which is not my interest). It all seems to work...the gauging that is and automatic entry of results in the offset columns. But I'm not sure the data is right and I'm confused as to how the control or tool offset page designates which tool is the 'reference' tool. Gauge Cal is a prompt (I'm assuming) like SET or CAL. Bur what it does or what entry should be made I do not know.

It probably knows the reference tool because that is the one you use to GAUGECAL and the tool number will be memorized by the control.
    Try moving the reference tool to touch the setter using the arrow buttons until the little light glows on the setter operation panel then GAUGECAL 0 WRITE ?
    I would assume you need to GAUGECAL 0 WRITE for both X and Z of the reference tool.
    I'm also assuming that the ZERO OFFSET in X (on the zero set screen) will also have to be set using the reference tool.
    Then set another different tool manually. Note the difference in the X and Z from the reference tool's X and Z offsets.
    Then move that same tool to the setter sensor using one of the 4 buttons and set that tool automatically.
    You can tell if its working because the offset data will not change much.
    If it moves a lot set the tools manually until someone comes along with more info

Here's the complete Touch Sensor/Tool Setter section from the OSP-P200L manual.
    It may give you some more clues. Perhaps there are pre-set parameters for the setter?
    Attached Files Attached Files

To setup the tool setter you need to have a tool that has an accurate tool offset already set.
    In our workshop Tool 1 is a RH Facing tool that is setup and used as the Z axis Zeroset tool.
    As such, this tool has a ZERO offset for Z axis.
    Assuming that this tool also is accurately set on X axis (the tool offset is correct).
    You will also need a boring bar that has the X axis tool offset set accurately.
    You will also need a LH tool, or a grooving tool that you know the width of. This will be used to set the tool length senor that is pointing towards the chuck.
    To set the sensor position you need to lower the sensor into position and move tool 1 towards the 3 o'clock face of the device. Position the tool tip within a mm or so of the face of the sensor.
    Select the Parameter screen and display the Sensor position page (Probably will display automatically anyway).
    With the tool positioned in front of the sensor, press the direction button on the control panel to make the tool move towards the sensor pad.
    Once the tool tip contacts the pad, the pad will be calibrated.
    Do the same for each pad, move the appropriate tool tip in position and press the direction button to move the tip against the appropriate sensor pad.
    To calibrate the sensor at the 9 o'clock position, I use a grooving tool as I can set the RH edge of the tool offset quite easily by first setting the LH edge and then subtracting the width of the tool.
    You MUST use a tool offset that matches the physical tool position for the RH side of the tool as the system only references the physical tools offset number when setting the sensor position. You can set the second offset for the grooving tool on Z to another offset number later.
    Once you have touched off each of the sensor positions, you can check that you have it calibrated correctly by returning to the tool offset page and "measuring" a tool.
    One tip here, write down your offsets before you start this process so that if you stuff up, you can re-enter them manually .
    To measure a tool, position it in front of the appropriate sensor face with the tool offset data page displayed and then press the tool direction button to calculate the tool offset.
    MDI your tool to a known position to check you have it correct (the offset that is).
    Hope this is not to confusing for you.
    Regards
    Brian.

Oh and a rather obvious step required at the start is that the "face" of the sensor pad is clocked as true to the machine axis as possible, otherwise this will affect your resulting calibration and offset setting, depending on how far out of alignment the pad is.
    To set the 'alignment', you should find two screws that you can tighten and loosen as required to 'rotate' the 'head'.
    Regards
    Brian.

Oh and a rather obvious step required at the start is that the "face" of the sensor pad is clocked as true to the machine axis as possible, otherwise this will affect your resulting calibration and offset setting, depending on how far out of alignment the pad is.
    To set the 'alignment', you should find two screws that you can tighten and loosen as required to 'rotate' the 'head'.
    Regards
    Brian.