584,805 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport EZ Trak CMOS error, replaced RTC, still broken!
Page 1 of 2 12

Bridgeport EZ Trak CMOS error, replaced RTC, still broken!

Hi guys. I am newly registered to the forum, but I frequently have used it to solve many issues in the past with great success. Thank you all for that! I have an issue with a 2 axis Bridgeport EZ Trak DX CNC that I just cannot figure out. I have searched the archives on here and am striking out. Serial # on my machine control is EZ-3558 and I believe it is a late 1990's machine. I just purchased it, and when I fired it up the first time, I got the following error:

CMOS Checksum error
    CMOS Battery Failed
    Defaults Loaded

After doing some research on the forums, I determined that the ST Microelectronics part #M48T86PCI (discontinued) real time clock had a dead battery. According to the first thread I read, the cross reference is Dallas Semiconductor DS12887+. I purchased one and when I went to install, I removed the old RTC and noticed that "DS12887A" was silk screened on the board. Before installing, I pulled up both data sheets for "DS12887" and "DS12887A" online and couldn't find any differences, so I installed the RTC. When I powered the machine back up, I get nothing. The monitor displays nothing. No green lights are lighting up on the board either. So, I powered everything down, and ordered a "DS12887A+" ("+" just means lead compliant according to the Digikey Rep). After installing this RTC, I get the same result. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bigger problem? I have worked on machines before and am very careful during removal/install to protect against static discharge, etc. I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Check logic power supply. Is fan turning? Check for 5VDC (red to black) and 12VDC (yellow to black). Check connector to mother board or back plane.
    Does it try and seek the floppy upon power up?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Check logic power supply. Is fan turning? Check for 5VDC (red to black) and 12VDC (yellow to black). Check connector to mother board or back plane.
    Does it try and seek the floppy upon power up?

George
    Thanks for the reply! I checked voltage coming from power supply at one of the unused auxillary plugs using a cheap multimeter (forgot my fluke at home today) and I got 7VDC red-black and 16VDC yellow-black. I will re-check voltage with the fluke tomorrow to confirm. Power supply fan is not spinning but the fan on the motherboard is spinning. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the green and red lights on servo drives are lit up, as well as the red lights on the approx 13" long card (sorry don't know official name) that is inserted into the motherboard. Monitor appears to be receiving power because it momentarily flashes "no signal" when machine is powered up but then displays nothing whatsoever after that. Monitor does not appear to be original (Sysonic Brand) but I doubt that makes any difference. I believe my machine does not have a traditional disk type hard drive because I do not see one anywhere and their is a blue "stick" inserted on the motherboard that says the words "disk on module" on it. It appears to be inserted into the same type of port that a traditional hard drive would have been plugged into. I don't know how to check to see if it seeks the floppy on startup. I assume I would have to access the BIOS to do so. I tried pressing F1 several times as soon as power is applied as well as F2 and neither seems to do anything. Also if it helps any, the motherboard number is G586IPC REV C. Any advice on my next steps are greatly appreciated.

Someone has spent some money to do some upgrades.
    Yes it has a DOM instead of a hard drive.
    Just because the processor fan is spinning does not mean the logic power supply is OK.
    Watch the floppy. If the MB is working, it will seek the floppy for a few seconds during boot. At this point it sounds like you need a logic power supply.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Someone has spent some money to do some upgrades.
    Yes it has a DOM instead of a hard drive.
    Just because the processor fan is spinning does not mean the logic power supply is OK.
    Watch the floppy. If the MB is working, it will seek the floppy for a few seconds during boot. At this point it sounds like you need a logic power supply.

George
    George,
    Thank you again for your reply. I re-checked my voltages today with my Fluke Brand Multimeter and am getting 5.06VDC from red to black and 12.1VDC from Yellow to Black. I unplugged every quick disconnect plug from underneath the logic power supply and am getting the same voltage readings at each plug. I also unplugged the quick disconnect power plug at the floppy drive and am getting the same voltage reading there as well. I watched the floppy drive a couple of times from the moment power is turned on until approximately 1 minute later, and it never flashes a light or makes any sounds/visible activity that I can see, and like I previously mentioned, it is getting good voltage at the plug going into the floppy. Upon closer inspection of the Logic Power supply fan, I noticed that although it was not spinning, it was slightly "fluttering back and forth". I took the probe of my multimeter and gave it a little push on the blades to see if it would start spinning and oddly enough it worked. I will admit though that it doesn't appear to be spinning as fast as it should. Have you ever heard of such a thing before? Do you think the fan could be defective or do you think I still have a logic power supply problem? Everywhere I could easily access is showing good 5VDC and 12VDC power, so it makes me think that something is causing the controller to not boot (maybe a BIOS setting, etc.). I just cannot figure out how to access the BIOS to check at this point. The main reason I think it is BIOS related is because all of these problems with the machine not attempting to boot started when I replaced the RTC battery. That is just my speculation though, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am sure that you are much more experienced than I am. I really hope we can figure this out as I am sure it will be helpful to another member in the future. Thanks again for the help thus far.

Hi George,
    I just wanted to post an update. I have another bridgeport ez trak here at my shop that I swapped my logic power supply from this machine into and it worked just fine on that mill. Also I swapped the floppy into that machine and it tested good as well. I put a DOS 6.0 bootdisk in it to test the floppy in my good machine and it loaded it fine. So I can now rule out the logic power supply as well as the floppy drive as being the cause of my problems. Can you think of anything else to check?
    Thanks again!

Re: Bridgeport EZ Trak CMOS error, replaced RTC, still broken!

chipslc. Did you ever resolve this issue? I am dealing with same issue. Replaced RTC with DS12887A and now nothing. I'm concerned the computer tech that replaced my RTC damaged the MB. Solder job looked a little jacked-up. MB is a SBC-8251. I wish I could find a new one somewhere.

If the solder job on the board does not "look" good, it probably is not good. That timer chip has memory on it and it if does not work, the mill will be dead. I replaced the timer chip on my 1998 mill. It was soldered in just like yours. It is easy to unsolder if you first cut all the legs on the chip. Once you do that, it is easy to remove the legs one by one and wick the holes clean. I soldered in a socket for the timer chip if I need to replace it in the future.

Any half size SBC will work but no faster than a pentium. Yours may have the disk on a chip so if you don't get one similiar, you would need to get a solid state hd to plug into the board.

md63825 believe it or not, I have never resolved the issue. The machine still sits in the corner of the shop to this day. I purchased it for super cheap and have another identical one, so I simply haven't gotten around to fixing it. I am nearly sure the problem is with the motherboard as well. I just need to buy another motherboard and give it a shot. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Let me know if you get your problem resolved. Thanks!

Chipslc, I got my machine back online today. Followed some of the information found on your original post and had a local computer company replace the RTC. Unfortunately, they did a poor soldering job and I believe as a result, rendered the MB unusable. So, I ordered a new one from Advantech ($250) and it works great. Here's the link for it: PCA-6743F-Q0A1E-ISA Half-size Single Board Computer, DM&P Vortex86DX, LVDS, LAN, 8 COM, CF PC/104 The only issue I ran into was I tried to replace the HDD with a DOM. I had a few 32MB DOMs laying around and tried to use them. Turns out they were to small and I returned to using the 8GB HDD and everything loaded fine and the old girl came back to life. I'm gonna replace the old CRT screen with a new LCD and she'll be good as new. And she literally looks almost like new. Got it from aTech school that rarely used it. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info md63825. Mine already has a DOM on it so I would have to get a HDD if it wouldn't work with it. Just out of curiosity, what was the model number of your original motherboard? Mine says G586IPC REV C. My original RTC was not soldered into the board, but rather press fit. I reinstalled the new RTC in the same fashion. I believe my machine is a 1998 and my motherboard says G586IPC REV C. I just want to be sure the Advantech MB is compatible with my machine as well before I would buy it. Pretty sure my original motherboard is socket 7 type.

Hey chipslc, your motherboard is a full-size motherboard. My EZ- Trak is a 2000 model and uses a smaller Single Board Computer (SBC) mounted to a passive backplane, so the Advantech MB I shared with you won't work. I found a refurbished board that matches the one you have: DFI G586IPC yours is similar to my'97 EZ-Trak.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by md63825 View Post
    Hey chipslc, your motherboard is a full-size motherboard. My EZ- Trak is a 2000 model and uses a smaller Single Board Computer (SBC) mounted to a passive backplane, so the Advantech MB I shared with you won't work. I found a refurbished board that matches the one you have: DFI G586IPC yours is similar to my'97 EZ-Trak.
    I don't see anything special about that DFI board. It's a standard AT pentium motherboard. I'd imagine anything of that vintage with ISA slots will work. I'd hunt around some of the PC recyclers and see it you can find something similar for under $20.

Thanks for the info fellas! I just bought a used/working G586IPB/W7 for next to nothing. It looks like it will work to me. Do you guys think there is any reason it wouldn't work?

a

I'm not sure what a 7 Pentium is but it sounds like a later version of the Pentium processor. To replace the motherboard, you need an OLD pc board. 486, 586, or the earliest Pentium processor. The faster speeds of the newer processors will not work. You also need a VGA output for the monitor on the board. If the VGA output is from a plug in card, you will most likely need to load a driver for that card. Almost all of the early PC mother boards have a built in VGA output. I would do some more trouble shooting on the current board. Clean up all the connections and make sure the power supply has the 5v. If you manage to find an old pc, you may be able to replace the board but the easiest route is to install a backplane and use an advanteck board.

Also, some things about your post does not sound exactly correct. I have both a 1997 and a 1998 machine. The 1997 has a motherboard but has a battery and not a timer chip. The 1998 has the "CIB" using a backplane and half size single board computer and it does have the timer chip installed. What is the serial number of your mill? Not the control but stamped on the top front of the knee? That will give you the year of the mill.

Both the DFI G586IPC and the G586IPB/W7 appear very similar. Both are socket 7.

Maybe you should post a picture of exactly what you have. Generally if the board posts... but has a CMOS error you simply need to enter the BIOS, change the settings to reflect your hardware and save the settings. If the settings don't stick then you may need to replace the cmos battery. Machines of this vintage don't detect stuff automatically so you'll likely need to manually enter the drive parameters for example.

Quote Originally Posted by reabdet21 View Post
    If you manage to find an old pc, you may be able to replace the board but the easiest route is to install a backplane and use an advanteck board.
    I have a spare backplane out of a TC-3 if you decide to go the advantech route. Send me a PM.

I know this is an old thread but I just bought one of these old machines and I cannot get it to boot. Nothing shows on the screen. Blank

Blank screen: Bad CRT? Bad video board? Mother board dead? logic power supply dead?
    Reboot and watch the floppy. It it lights up and spins a few seconds, it means the logic power supply is probably good and the mother board is thinking. Then I would look at cable and CRT. You did not say what type of MB you have. Some have a separate video board.
    If floppy does not spin put a meter on the logic power supply.

George

George, thanks for the reply. Can you check out this thread I started? I have tried a different monitor and directly to the wall outlet. I'm not sure if I have a floppy LED or not.? But all the boards light up. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridg...ridegport.html

Page 1 of 2 12