585,728 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Passive Probe - anyone tried it?

Tormach Passive Probe - anyone tried it?

I'm interested in purchasing the Tormach Passive Probe but would like to here from anyone who has used the probe and their experience with it.

Thanks,

Jeff

I have one. Very happy with the performance. Accurate enough for what I do. Repeatable within 0.0002" when taking the same measurement twice in a row, so I trust it. Good over-travel for operator error...

Allows me to automate finding fixture corners etc.

Geo

Agreed... Very nice for the $.

David

Thanks for the replies - I will order one soon.

Jeff

If you are referring to the Haimer 3D Taster (Feeler) they are amazing and I will never be without one on a CNC Mill again. 12 seconds total to zero X, Y & Z if using a corner, 20 if I'm using the center of the part as my zero and have to pick up -X(zero), +X(/2) and repeat for the Y.

My recommendation is to get the dial face version as it makes finding zero much faster. 1 out of 4 times I stop ON zero, the other three I stop 1-3 thou short and just click click click the incremental wheel to zero.

Also easy to find datums on round objects. simply jog slowly
    across the arc till the needle quits climbing... thats your Z height. If your zero is the centerline keep jogging until the needle drops 2 lines, zero, jog back until it climbs back up and drops 2 lines, (/2) in the DRO. Done.

Tips are $45 ea when I order a couple from Tormach. haven't found a cheaper source yet. They only break when you do something dumb like have increment on .5" etc. My increments have been .0003" since I did the .5" $45 increment move... once.

I don't like the smaller shank on the ones Tormach sells. I was lucky enough to find a new-old-stock version with a 3/4" shank and added a TTS collar.

If time and accuracy are important its worth every penny.