585,902 active members*
4,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Newbie

I am a gun guy and know little to nothing about machining. I am ready to expand my business to the manufacturing side of the house and start cranking out my own firearms. I'm going to start small with a used Haas Mini Mill. I've already had an engineer make a 3D model of the part I'm going to start with. I do have a couple of questions.

If I have a machinest set everything up and show me the ropes, is this something you guys think I could do on my own or will I need to hire a machinist on a regular basis? I learn quickly, but again, I have no experience in this area.

What software would you recommend? Remember, I'm trying to start small.

Those with mini mills, how many vices can you use simultaneously?

Will I be able to use a double vice?

Thanks in advance for any help!

If I have a machinest set everything up and show me the ropes, is this something you guys think I could do on my own or will I need to hire a machinist on a regular basis? I learn quickly, but again, I have no experience in this area. - If you fancy yourself an operator and just want to load parts into the machine and press the green button and then unload the parts, you probably can hire some local guy to program, fixture, and set up your jobs for you as needed.

What software would you recommend? Remember, I'm trying to start small. - Your set up guy will probably supply his own software or manually write the G-code needed. If you are not doing 3D surfacing, Getting a Haas with the IPS and taking time to learn it, you can probably make your own programs. But, it will take you time and a lot of practice.

Those with mini mills, how many vices can you use simultaneously? - Depends on the size of the vises (not vices). The normal size Kurt vise, probably 2 is a good number.

Will I be able to use a double vice? - Yes, you could even go to the extra expense of the doubles.

I have seen guys try to get into CNC machining from scratch many times. Then they are surprised in 12 months about how little they know, still, after 12 months of trying. Work out in your business model for costs for hiring a full time real machinist and see if it would be worth your while.

Quote Originally Posted by medicfirearms View Post
    I am a gun guy and know little to nothing about machining. I am ready to expand my business to the manufacturing side of the house and start cranking out my own firearms. I'm going to start small with a used Haas Mini Mill. I've already had an engineer make a 3D model of the part I'm going to start with. I do have a couple of questions.

If I have a machinest set everything up and show me the ropes, is this something you guys think I could do on my own or will I need to hire a machinist on a regular basis? I learn quickly, but again, I have no experience in this area.

What software would you recommend? Remember, I'm trying to start small.

Those with mini mills, how many vices can you use simultaneously?

Will I be able to use a double vice?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Get as much hands on training as you can get. There is more to machining than having someone set it up and pressing a button. Look into hiring someone either FT or PT. Another option if you don't need FT help would be to barter with a machinist. Trade some PT training from a machinist for some gun work or whatever you have to offer them.

Don't just take someone for their word that they know what they are doing though, check them out good and ask good specific questions about their abilities and skills.

Maybe give your general location and perhaps someone here might be willing to help out or trade services.

Good luck!