584,798 active members*
4,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Student Zone

Student Zone

How about zone for students? I started at Naugatuck Valley CC about a month ago in their Advanced Manufacturing Program. Are there other students on here? Where do you go to school? What are they showing you? Are you retraining? Young,older,female? New to everything? All are welcome. Tell Us about yourself. Just throwing this out there.

Your the best!

Hey Mr7firedog, I'm a student at Kettering University studying electrical and mechanical engineering. I do a lot of the machining work for the Formula SAE design team at our school. We used to only do in-house things on an Alliant retrofitted with a ProtoTrak MX2 but recently I've been using a Haas VF2, VF-E, ST-10, and TM3 to do all sorts of interesting things. What do they teach you in advanced manufacturing because all my learning has been out of necessity. We can't afford to keep sending parts out even with all our sponsors.

So far a lot of basic stuff. we have a lot of manual machines, bridgeports and lathes. We have a good instructer who is getting us into cnc mostley CNC plot,we are a lot of newbes, but starting to get it about 7 weeks into it. Lots of programing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr7firedog View Post
    So far a lot of basic stuff. we have a lot of manual machines, bridgeports and lathes. We have a good instructer who is getting us into cnc mostley CNC plot,we are a lot of newbes, but starting to get it about 7 weeks into it. Lots of programing!
    So are you working with CAM or writing programs by hand? I never wrote programs by hand but when I had to start trouble-shooting my CAM programs I picked up G-Code (RS274) quite quickly.

How about zone for students? I started at Naugatuck Valley CC about a month ago in their Advanced Manufacturing Program. Are there other students on here? Where do you go to school? What are they showing you? Are you retraining? Young,older,female? New to everything? All are welcome. Tell Us about yourself. Just throwing this out there.
    I didn't realize that Naugatuck Valley CC had such a program, because a few years ago when I was looking for an 'intro to machine technology' course, I couldn't find one in CT. So I just took a look at their web site and now I see that the program is new.

Waterbury is about an hour's drive for me, so it would not have been an easy course to take, but the alternative that I ended up pursuing was a lot farther away.

Good luck with your studies...

I'm a student at Arkansas State University - Searcy. I started this fall working my way toward an associates degree in general tech with emphasis on machining. We are currently taking classes in basic machining, Solidworks, metallurgy, MasterCam, and CNC. Next semester we will have advanced machining, Solidworks 2, plastics, MasterCam 2, and advanced CNC. We have a small shop and computer lab but the building is new so it's a nice space. We have 4 Bridgeport mills, 3 Bridgeport lathes, Haas tm-1, Haas tl-1, Shop Bot router, 4 desktop mills, and an old school Clausing turning center. The program used to have more machines but the new shop is considerably smaller than the old one. I'm a newb on these machines but I've picked up the solid modeling and tool pathing quickly. My teacher asked me to help him convert one of the desktop mills to 4-axis. the reason he asked me is because i deal with rc electronics and servos but I'm new to stepper motors. He purchased a TB 6560 AHQ 4-axis board on eBay and a Sherline 4" rotary table with stepper. If anybody can help me figure out how to wire them and set my DIP switches I would be very grateful. I have the spec sheets for the 3 alike steppers and some of the specs for the Sherline. Thanks in advance!
    Learning...

Writing by hand. G code. Its really not too bad

We did a intro to cad but have not done any matercam.we have been learning g code mostly to get familer with it. at least to be able to edit it. Where in Ct are you? Housotonic in Brigeport has the same program.

We did a intro to cad but have not done any matercam.we have been learning g code mostly to get familer with it. at least to be able to edit it. Where in Ct are you? Housotonic in Brigeport has the same program.
    I'm just a couple of towns away from Bridgeport.

I did not realize that Housatonic CC had such a program. I was not looking for a program leading to an associates degree or similar, rather I just wanted to get hands-on with machine tools before starting to put together my own home machine shop. I ended up taking two semesters of courses through the adult education system in Keene, NH (where I was renting an apartment at the time).

i don,t know if you can take seperate courses. We do have a couple of students that only take a single course. 1 in cnc 1 in bluprint reading. Call the school.

Re: Student Zone

im looking for a way to run a double finish pass on a threading cycle fir haas sl40 running in fanuc series 30i

I think that the proposal of the Student zone is just great! Thanks!

It is a great proposal, thank you so much!