585,752 active members*
4,105 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The CNC Mother Board

Hi Group,

I designed a series of stepper drivers called the CNC Mother Board. It is basically a back plane where you plug in the number of stepper driver modules you need, without the need of wiring. The Mother Board also contains two solenoids, home sensor connectors and the emergency stop, so in essence is a contained solution.

I wanted to take this product into mass production so decided to go with the KickStarter route. Now, I know it may be frowned upon for me to advertise that here, but since the project has been buried and pretty much impossible to find by conventional browsing methods, I though it should be even more "frowned-uponeable" for me to leave this project die without doing anything about it.

Out of respect for those folks who may be offended by seeing a link pointing to the KickStarter project, I will not do such a thing. However, if you are interested in taking a look, you can find it by writing "CNC" at the Kickstarter Search field.

This project will allow two inventors to realize their dreams. The electronics is one side, but there is also a novel heat sink which is at stake here. If you can let other DIY CNC enthusiasts know about it, that could help us greatly. Thanks!

Other than the two 30 amp relays, what makes the CNC Motherboard better than a Gecko G540, which I can get for $50 less, and has a higher current rating?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Gerry,

The CNC Mother Board is not necessarily better than anything else. I agree that this system is basically a compilation of what is already out there.

What it does have to offer, which other modules out there may not, is flexibility. If you need two, three or four axis, you can always choose how many power stages you want. You can actually choose the power stage in question. For example, do you need high resolution, or do you need high current? What voltage do you need? It just makes it easier to build an entire electronics package a la carte.

The project is going to basically be Open Source which means anybody can design a module that plugs into the Mother Board. At the moment there are only two modules designed, but I am working on a third which will offer 256 degrees of microstepping, 10A (although the FETs are rated at 60A), and up to 60V operation.

I agree that the $300 price point may seem too steep. It is the typical catch 22. When volumes are higher, I foresee a platform like this can sell for anywhere in between $200-$250. The problem at this moment, is all I can build is something like 100 four axis kits and a little bit more modules. At those volumes, the cost is prohibitively high. I could of course call it a night and deem this a lost cause, but I have faith there is a way to get something like this going. I guess we will all know within 26 days whether I have been dreaming with pregnant birds or not...

Thanks for posting the question, though!

I personally don't see any issue at all with promoting anything CNC related from self starters or inventors, maybe though put them in the new products or technology catergory?

As Gerry said though, at that price I would imagine it somewhat dificult to raise large numbers, but I sincerely wish you the very best of luck, just the fact your having a go should be applauded.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!