584,808 active members*
5,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ALPHACAM

ALPHACAM

Hi everyone, I have ALPHACAM 2002 which works via a serial dongle key but have upgraded my PC and no longer have a place to connect it. Ideally I need a USB version and maybe a later version as I am now running windows 7 x 64 bit.

Can anyone assist me in this?

I contacted the supplier but they want me to pay an annual maintenance plan fee and also to pay for a usb key which at the moment is out of my budget considering I only use the machine for hobby work now and again. Any help much appreciated, best regards, Bugattiman

Get a serial card for the PC. Cheapest option.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I don't think this will solve my problem in wanting to run the alphacam on my 64 bit OS Neil?
    It will still be wanting to use a 32 bit system?
    cheers for taking the time to reply, best regards

Get a serial card. Install XP Mode in win7 then install Acam in XP mode. Only the newer version of Acam 2010 and up will run in win 7 64 bit.

At least it will be much faster than the old 2002 vintage PC.

s00073055 Guest
    Have you still got this problem?

it pending of how much they want for the usb dongle..
    i mean if you send back the dongle them, there should be a reasonable price for replacement..
    no one can enforce you buying new program..

you can try to buy an adapter, usb to serial..

Computer Furniture | Network Rack Accessories | USB Serial Adapter USB/DB9M | B246345 - GlobalIndustrial.com

google shows thoushad of seller and all of them asks about 20 bux

and set windows run program as winxp..

if not working this way, then you can buy on ebay a better dell about 120 with xp installed.. some has 4 gig mem.. possible sufficient for acam..

if these effort doesnt work.... then just make like with old car.. after warranty you can take anywhere to fix..

if alphacam doesnt replace your key as a lost replacement, for a reasonable price, what would be acceptable if they claim it is their property,,,

then i think it does mean you have an abandoned software, without support..
    so you can fix whatever way you want.. legally..

alphacam dongle

Thanks people for your replies to my problem. I am currently running the 2002 version on the deskey dongle and its fine on my old pc. However I have bit the bullet and ordered the DNC cable and dongle from South Western Industries so that I can use my MX3 controller in full 3 axis mode and also drip feed larger programs. That said I will need to at some point learn a 3d drawing package and 3d cam software in order for me to utilise the full 3 axis on the XYZ Prototrak machine. I will keep everyone updated as to my progress, best regards, bugattiman

ps I am running the alphacam on vista without problems.

Re: alphacam dongle

Quote Originally Posted by bugattiman View Post
    Thanks people for your replies to my problem. I am currently running the 2002 version on the deskey dongle and its fine on my old pc. However I have bit the bullet and ordered the DNC cable and dongle from South Western Industries so that I can use my MX3 controller in full 3 axis mode and also drip feed larger programs. That said I will need to at some point learn a 3d drawing package and 3d cam software in order for me to utilise the full 3 axis on the XYZ Prototrak machine. I will keep everyone updated as to my progress, best regards, bugattiman

ps I am running the alphacam on vista without problems.
    Hi,
    Are you still using your old version of alphacam?

I am looking for an old copy, with a serial or parellel port deskey. Mainly to open and play with a few old files that I have.

Alphacam wants me to pay ~$7k for a hobby version of their software.

If you are no longer using your software, and the hardware dongle, and would sell it. let me know.