585,685 active members*
4,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EZ-Trak DX axis drive issue

Hi,

Our old ez-trak dx 2 axis machine is giving the 'axis drive fault' error when trying to home the axis. I will try to outline all that we have done so far.

We have had the electrician check the cables to both axis and check both drive motors. He said they are fine.

I went and ran the PFM.EXE software. In it, I could enable the axis drives and jog the x axis. When I would try to jog the y axis, I would get the 'axis drive fault' error.

So, figuring it was the axis controller, we sent the y axis drive controller off for repair. They replaced some caps and tested it, then sent it back. I installed it and the exact same situation as before.

Now, what can we do?

Thanks,
    Greg

If I get a axis drive fault I pull the green connector on the AUXBOB board. This enables the drives. Now I can see which still has red LED lit. I can then swap the drives and see if the problem follows the drive of stays with the axis. If it fault follows the drive it is the axis drive board. If not I ohm out the armature wires comparing X and Y. If there is a difference, I then check resistance right at the motor. Remember that SEM motors per a service report from Bridgeport should be overhauled every 4000 hours of operation. I have seen them go 7 years before needing work. But they have brushes on the armature and tach and will need work eventually.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I disconnected the green connector on the AUXBOB board and the red led on both axis went out. I then swapped the drive connectors on the two axis and the red led came on on the y axis drive board. I did that with the green connector on the AUXBOB board still disconnected. Does that mean anything?

When swapping boards, you need to swap armature wires and the signal connector.
    Red LED means a drive off or a fault.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)