586,009 active members*
4,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Friggin Windows Update

I had a job running on my machine (Planet-CNC controller on Windows 7 netbook) and I guess there was the usual windows update request that I did not see. So the update shut down all tasks including the cnc control and restarted the netbook. Very annoying.

Fortunately the USB controller stopped just there and kept the coordinates so that I could just re-run the program (I did not dare to delete the g-code that was already complete).

Anyway, simple question: how can I set Windows to not automatically start the update shut-down/re-boot?

Thanks, JB

Isolate it from the internet?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

control panel
    system security
    windows update / turn auto update on/off

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    control panel
    system security
    windows update / turn auto update on/off

Cool. Thanks! That was what I was looking for.

Easy to fix. Do not allow windows to do automatic updates. I update my CNC machines manualy.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

I update my CNC machines manualy.
    I don't update mine at all, once it's up and running.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There are definitely benefits to dedicating an offline PC to the CNC.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

The first benefit is sanity.

My machines are all networked. Makes it easy to share files with my CAD machine. While I dont go web surfing with the CNC machines. I do the updates from time to time just incase.

Another option is to let windows check for updates, but not download and install them.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Never updated, or connected the '99 vintage Mazak to the internet for an update. It runs on a Win95 OEM kernel, and doesn't need an update. In fact, it's better left off the net, except to link up for a program download/upload.

There's some wisdom to the old addage... It it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can also set it to only run on certain nights, at certain times - my windows boxes only install patches at 3 AM on Saturday...

Thanks guys, lots of helpful tips.

I knew that can be turned off but was not sure where to look.

I want to keep it on the wifi network because I am running Dropbox software on the CNC control in the garage as well as the CAD/CAM workstation in the house. That way the g-code files I create and save in the dropbox folder show up automatically without doing anything on the CNC control PC.

I just share a folder on the control PC and map it as a drive on my design PC, then just copy files to the mapped drive.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I just share a folder on the control PC and map it as a drive on my design PC, then just copy files to the mapped drive.
    That is what I used to do. I am not sure why but the shared folder feature on my Windows PCs is less than reliable. Sometimes one or the other PC on the wifi network scans forever to re-establish connection. Maybe this is because the signal in my garage is pretty weak.

Since I use Dropbox this has become a non-issue. Both PC have local files and if I change, delete or add one it magically syncs on the other machine. I can access all files from the CAD/CAM, the CNC control, my iPhone and my computer at work (not that I have a suitable CNC machine there....). If there is a temporary disconnect or one off them is turned off it will synchronize as soon as it is back up. I find that fabulous and it is free, too.

I use the shared folders (via Windows) too, but it is good to drag the file to a local machine before loading it into Mach3. M3 keeps the file open even after reading it; if you don't make a copy and go to your CAD/CAM machine to regen the gcode it will often complain that the file is in use and cannot be modified.

I share the g-code folder on the machine control PC, and copy the files to that folder, in my garage.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I dodged a bullet the other day, nothing to do with win updates sorry Jerry.
    I was cutting the parts for a P-box, I had just finished one piece and started the X/Y alignment for the next when I got a watchdog alert for the parallel port driver. I normally do not turn off the dust collector during this process so I could not hear anything other than the collector.
    I restarted Mach3 and started the procedure again, same error???
    I restarted the PC and tried again, same error???
    At this point I turned off the dust collector to research the error on the net, I didn't find anything concrete so I decided to reboot the PC once more. It was this reboot that I heard the dreaded clicking of a failing hard drive. I did have a backup image but it was from a few months ago, I decided to try for a fresh image. I was lucky after 2 tries on the imaging PC I got a clean image. After restoring the image to a new hard drive I was back cutting, I lost about 45 minutes imaging and restoring but none of my stock was damaged.
    I normally keep a second hard drive in the machine and do periodic images but I was lazy and let this one slip. Another way to get an image is to use a USB hard drive but this only really works with a USB 2.0 port but my machine is only 1.0 (slow).
    Thank You.

@Drools : I know exactly how you feel! This AM my machine gave a 'hic' and started asking if I wanted to format my portable drive (the one that has my entire professional+personal+family life on it). Reboots didn't help. Fortunately I had just bought a new portable drive, and am now moving everything over to the new unit using a different PC. Hours of transfer though, even with USB2.

You can almost feel your digital life drifting off to neverland ...
    Cheers!

I have been doing IT for a long time, I seen too many cases where someone has lost an entire life time of personal info (taxes, pictures, resumes the list goes on and on).
    When I store files on my USB drive I use a sync program (I use Alwaysync) and sync the USB drive to an identical unit. One drive can go down and you still have an identical copy on the other drive.
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    I dodged a bullet the other day, nothing to do with win updates sorry Jerry..............
    No problem, my question is answered and please feel free to use this thread however you want :cheers:

For that matter, I do a complete drive image with Macrium once a while (every 3-6 months). Probably not as often as I should but I have not had to use it and one becomes complacent. I hope if I ever need it the recovery will actually work.

Page 1 of 2 12