584,858 active members*
4,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal Ballscrew leaking coolant

Fadal Ballscrew leaking coolant

I have a couple FADAL machines and it is apparent the coolant through ball screw design doesn't work well over time. The screw itself is still good and works well, but the seals used to keep the coolant where it should be cut into the journal and eventually give way causing bearing failure. Is there a fix for this other than putting a whole new screw in and waiting for it to happen again? Is there a company that can just put a stainless steel sleeve over the journal area for an economical price? I hate to spend a grand plus just to have it happen over and over.

The best thing you can do is replace the thrust bearings and then route the cooler fluid to the spindle housing only. One of the worst ideas Fadal ever had.
    Hardly anyone really needs the screw cooling.

Yup
    Bypass the ballscrew cooling
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

What kind of accuracy would I lose by bypassing the coolant? At "normal" speeds it should be negligible considering the screw bearing is constantly being oiled with the Bijur system?

We by-bassed ours a couple years ago and NO loss of accuracy. Circle interpolated holes are still nice and round.
    Still working in the "D".

I bypassed ours when the machine was only about a year old. Accuracy loss is zip. My Machinery Handbook lists the linear expansion per unit length per degree F. for steel as .00000633 at 68 deg. F. In other words, a 10.0 inch move at a 5 deg increase in temperature would be 10.0003
    I don't know if you could run the machine hard enough to raise the screw temperature 5 degrees. Bottom line- bypass the coolant line and sleep well.