585,975 active members*
5,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 31i interesting issue

G'day,
    I have a YCM Horizontal with a 31i control. I also have an operator (or possibly HAD) with twitchy fingers. I can not get a clear answer as to what he may have done but here is what is happening... The absolute "readout" seems to be reading in metric when the machine is in inch mode. the other "readouts" read correct. If I switch to metric the absolute reading increases by 25.4 (which produces numbers way out of range) my work offsets also increase when I switch to metric. The program is written in metric and the program has run without problem for 2 weeks. I can not run the program because it wants to move to a position way out of range. My operator was adding a fixture to pallet 2 when he screwed this up. I do not understand what is affecting the absolute reading. I am positive the operator at some point was trying to set the "relative" readout to zero to dial in the fixture. I just can't figure out what he may have done in error to affect the absolute reading. I am waiting to hear from the dealer on this too but just thought I would throw it out here.
    Barry

Could the operator have dialled in metric values in the work offset page while the system was in inch mode

I think you are on the right track Superman. The thing that's buggin me is the offsets are all in the program, input with G10. I am trying to sort out if it's possible the control was in inch when it got the input of the values???? I can't wrap my head around it but I really think it has to be linked to something on that order. I am going to try a few things and see what happens.

It had to be that the machine was in inch when it input the metric values from the program. Then was switched to metric and increased everything. I am still unclear as to how it happened because we haven't had a problem in the past.
    At this moment the problem seems to be solved but I need to try some things to try to duplicate it. I don't like not knowing why.
    Thanks for your input!

there are a few things to check....

parameter 0 bit 2
    xxxxx1xx
    the 1 above is the position of inch/metric input unit bit.
    1 is inch, 0 is metric.
    I've seen it where an operator has accidentally changed this parameter because usually the cursor is on parameter 0 on power-up when the system/parameter button is pressed (although how he enabled PWE without knowing it is still a mystery ;-)

Check the list of current G-codes on the program check screen. Sometimes instead of typing G28 an operator can accidentally type G20 or G21. this will switch the inch/metric mode.

Check the Setting (Handy) screen.
    Input Unit can be changed to 0 or 1 switching metric/inch units even without parameter write enabled.