584,866 active members*
5,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Operating Colchester Tornado A50

Dear readers ,

Recently I purchased a Colchester Tornado A50 lathe .
    I have some basic experience in programming but I'm suffering some startup problems that I cant manage to solve .

The turret is installed with 4 cutting tools , 1 workpiece stop and 1 drill . I made a workshift Z0 value on the workpiece stop and made an offset for all the tools by cutting and measuring . However when writing a small program with a tool exchange to the drill the turret goes everytime out of range in the Z axis . In other words I can't switch to the drill in a safe position .

I only manage to switch to the drill by T1200 command (drill is in postion 12) without the turret moving in Z X axis . But then I have no offset / reference so then I enter T1212 and the turret moves out of range again or moves to - Z position to close to the workpiece .

I tried with the T0000 command but that doesn't solve the problem .
    All the other tools seems to work fine whit the T0000 command or T01XX offset command .

Probably there is some mistake in my tool allignments/offsets but I can't figure it out from the manual how to do it right .

Any comment/help is very appreciated .

Best regards,
    Kenny

Hi Kenny,
    I first go to the work shift and set it at 0.
    Then I indicate all my tools off a setting tool of about 2.0'' long which I set on the surface of the chuck and then indicate all my tools from.
    Once they are all set I go to MDI mode and call up a tool to make sure the settings are kept by the controller.
    You can then set your work shift value measuring the diff. from the setting tool to your part stick out.
    I always call my tools in the T0101 or T0202 and so on.
    Hope this helped.

Claude

Re: Operating Colchester Tornado A50

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyzen View Post
    Hi Kenny,
    I first go to the work shift and set it at 0.
    Then I indicate all my tools off a setting tool of about 2.0'' long which I set on the surface of the chuck and then indicate all my tools from.
    Once they are all set I go to MDI mode and call up a tool to make sure the settings are kept by the controller.
    You can then set your work shift value measuring the diff. from the setting tool to your part stick out.
    I always call my tools in the T0101 or T0202 and so on.
    Hope this helped.

Claude
    Hi,I whant to buy one Tornado A50.But can you tell me is tailstock on all Tornado A50?
    Thanks.