Hi all, im new around here and have been looking around alot at making my own CNC Miller, my original plan was to get another bridgeport and convert to run on the EMC software. That quickly went out the window as i have no where to store one, nor the money to rent. So that lead onto building one, I think i have a basic understanding of how itll all go together but i dont know any specifics really, my background is all mechanical engineering with no knowledge whatsoever on the electrical side of things, alot of the parts id be able to get from work i think such as lead screws and motors and the such like but i was wondering which kind to get etc?

Ive read that its possible to use the stepper motors from printers and possibly the rails too? is this a viable option for machining in terms of rigidity and motor strength while cutting.

And for a spindle, would it be possible to convert a pnumatic die grinder and run a belt drive to it from a spindle motor? i have a spare grinder at work that i dont use that has an extended spindle which is only about 30mm diameter and has collet toolholding
My whole plan was to try and make one from MDF and utilize as many cheap parts as i could, then use that machine to build a more rigid and overall better machine from aluminium. As for a budget, i dont necessarily have the cash at hand to buy all parts now but i have no real deadline either so i dont mind saving for parts, i want to keep it as cheap as possible, that said i dont want to skimp on performance so id rather save up and buy the better part than go for a cheap alternative that wont give the results. Once i know what parts im going to use then i can draw up my design on solidworks and maybe machine some parts at work

So far my build was going to be :

Fully supported base
Mobile gantry
600mm (X) , 300mm (Y) , 200mm (Z) axis movement
Approximately 1000mm x 750mm x 750mm machine footprint
Tolerance and repeatability of around 0.001"
MDF (Prototype) then aluminium body
Linear guide blocks and rail systems (Can locate from work)
Mach3 Controller (I have no idea about LINUX
Motors TBC
Lead Screws TBC
Controller TBC
Spindle TBC

Any recommendations, info etc is welcomed