585,667 active members*
4,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

file transfer

hi guys

does anyone know how to find the actual comms settings in the cnc? i use fadal assist, succesfully, but very slowly to accomplish file transfer at present, but have several comms programs i would like to try. i know what the book says they should be, however...

Xon/Xoff
    com1
    even

the machine may be set to something different.

tia

axis

At the command prompt type "setp" and scroll through the parameters. The second or third one at the top is the baud rate. Change it to match what you are using. The baud rate is the only hing you can change at the control. Then hit manual to reset the control. I've heard that you should power up and down with a baud rate change for it to stick but I've changed it before without powering down, if one does not work try the other.

The settings you have are correct BTW.

thanks for your quick response. i know the baudrate is ok, as the command cd,6 has to be input before communication. as the other settings are correct, i will make no changes. i guess that leaves the cabling :stickpoke

thanks again

axis

Axis--
    The only setting on the VMC side of things is the Baud rate. The 7,E, and 1 are hard coded. The Xon/Xoff and Xmodem are hard coded but the VMC control will automatically adjust to which one you are using. The Assist program will only do Xon/Xoff protocol at a maximum of 9600 baud.
    Neal

Axis--
    I missed an important fact when I read your post. You state that the baud rate is set for 9600 in SETP. When you enter the CD,6 command you just temporaliy over wrote the baud rate to 2400. This 2400 will stay in effect until you power off and on. The SETP baud parameter is only read during th power up sequence.
    Neal

...Or you could get Fadal's newer comm program, called "NCFadal". That'll communicate at 38,400 baud. We are presently using Cimco edit to send/receive to the 88hs controller on our Fadal. Works well. There is also freeware kicking around that'll work fine also.

BTW, before you do the SETP command at the controller, have the axes set at CS position. I forgot about that last night, and had to reset my axes after using SETP to turn on our tool clocks. ;>(

Axis Overtravel,
    Last time I looked the manuals were available to look at online at the Fadal website. I believe you will find all the info you need in the operators manual. We have 4 Fadals and we use 3 different baud rates for comms, as some of the machines will not communicate as fast as others.

060113-0939 EST USA

alloyspec:

Is the difference between your machines the maximum machine capability in terms of baud rate selection, or are there other factors such as cable length or common mode noise differences.

Our I232 Isolator system can provide 115.2 kbaud and 4000 ft with short time +/-2000 V isolation. We have experimentally put 1000 VAC RMS 60 Hz (+/-1414 V) on the interconnect cable while transmitting data and produced no errors. Note all dielectric materials have a time dependent breakdown characteristic, thus our reason for specifing short time. However, we could continuously apply the 1414 V level.

We recently supplied a customer that has a Fadal with our I232 system and he was able to go from 4800 baud with numerous transmission errors to his machine's maximum baud rate and no errors. This was with 85 feet of cable. He was drip feeding and therefore errors were a very great problem. On the other hand with our I232 he can use 115.2 kbaud on his HAAS machines.

A different customer with a HAAS machine was not able to communicate via RS232 at all at any baud rate when the brushless servos were on unless using a battery powered laptop. With our I232 the problem was eliminated and he operates at 115.2 kbaud and 125 feet of cable from the office desktop.

see our web site www.beta-a2.com .

We use Predator DNC to communicate with 5 fadals and various other machines. We love it.

do you use ta,1 for picking up and "pu" for sending?

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters
    do you use ta,1 for picking up and "pu" for sending?
    Yes

Gar,
    Our machines vary in age,and software. On one of the machines we have, you must type in "CD" for file transfer instead of TA,1. We have a network set up with an old dedicated computer that uses an old DOS program for comms with our server. When we DNC, we roll a different coputer close to the machine with a short cable. We have never recieved any errors in the programs that I know of.

many thanks to you all for your help with this topic. i have sucessfully resolved the issue.
    for a much more complex problem, take a look at my new thread 'probing and pallet changing.

thanks again guys

Quote Originally Posted by MPTD-Chris
    We use Predator DNC to communicate with 5 fadals and various other machines. We love it.

We use Multi-DNC from Spectrum to dripfeed 7-Fadals, 1-Milltronics Bridge Mill and 1-Milltronics Lathe simultaneously. We've used it for almost 10 years now, and perform a lot of complex 3D contouring with programs running anywhere from 2 - 10 MB long (we are always running "lights-out"). It's simple to set up, has a graphic chart to show percentage of completion, and will even keep track of running hours.