585,760 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Spindle load meter eratic

Spindle load meter eratic

does anybody know why the spindle load meter goes up and down, like from 0 to 100% when i only put a spindle speed in without it cutting. when i do cut metal i cannot tell what load is on the spindle.

Nigel...

Hey man it is really difficult for anyone to be able to help you with your problem when you give them no information at all. I mean what kind of machine is it? What control? What year model is it? any other issues you are seeing? It is really hard to help you when you give so little info. Peace

Pete

arrow 750, acromatic2100 control and about 15 years old, thought might be a common thing? guess not

It's understandable for the spindle load to spike to over 100% when changing spindle speeds. The motor is instantly pulling the power required to turn the spindle faster.

However while on this topic... I have been around quite a few Arrows/Sabres/Lancers in the past and I do find their spindle load meters to always read funny. I have an Arrow 1000 while spinning at 2000 rpm just sitting there not cutting the load meter is easily over 40%. The bearings and spindle are both in good shape as well. Just curious if this is a problem that just gets worse due to the ages of these machines.

I will make a reply on this subject when I get to my office this morning; I believe I have a doc on adjusting the load meter reading in the a2100 and will give the pinout on the vfs5 of the current monitor data.

but in the meantime, Laka, question for you as I have never paid any attention to the load meters on these machines: if you run at 100rpm please verify that your recollection is same 40% r so load meter display as 2000rpm - that would let me give proper data for decent explanation when I reply. Ditto anyone else with one of these machines: is the load meter typically about 30-40& running idle at any speed?

There is a procedure for adjusting the a2100 display load meter. it involves running a test program built in the vfs5 drive and watching the load meter. I can send a doc on this if needed - send me an email request. The actual signal comes out of the drive on connector C8 pins 49&50 & is normally 6.67Vdc=100% load. If you have machine drawings you can look for a convenient place to measure this and see if it is fluctuating like the meter or not to help find where the issue is.

Load @ 100rpm = 25-35%, @ 500rpm and above averages close to 40%

I would be interested in the document you're referring to. laka0(@)hotmail.com

eMAIL sent.

We have too many drives to remember details on each one like if load meter reading includes magnetizing current or not.... If your experience on vfs5 is same as others, then we send actual motor current to display - that means the value you would get if u use a clamp on ammeter around a motor lead - it includes the magnetizing current; so any time the motor is on it will have about 25-40% ;load' shown. the work or toque adds to this to get to 100%. hope this makes sense.

doc & software link for motionlink Plus sent.