585,922 active members*
3,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > troubleshooting POSIX design linistepper

troubleshooting POSIX design linistepper

Hi All...

I am currently trying to replicate the POSIX design linistepper. I am using the transistor aligned design posted on the lini website and i am having no joy.

I first built the circuit and found that the one transistor would remain on constantly and begin to smoke. I though that the pic maybe stuck and thus replaced the sense resistors and all the transistors. Programmed a new pic with v2 asm file and powered up again.

This time i get nothing, no smoke, nothing, the motor is not even energized, i can turn the motor with my fingers. there is voltage at the transistor but it doesnt seem to move onto the motor coils. I have also now changed the BC337's and still nothing.

What would be the route to troubleshoot this design? How would i test to ensure that the pic is behaving has needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Megesh Govender - South Africa
    Newbie to CNC

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
    Newbie to CNC

Measure the voltages on the output of the PIC pins. See if they are correct as you step the input. You should see the voltages change in a stepping pattern. If not, the PIC isn't running. If you do, then the problem is in the transistors.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Thanks so much James!!! you pointed me in the right direction and i cant believe what a face palm of note i deserve!

After all the testing i found that everything was working fine! turns out that the electronics store supplied me with 1K sense resistors instead of 1 ohm!!! man was i pissed, but i am partly to blame should have measured when i saw the writing was not clear on the package!

New sense resisitors in and working like a charm! now to mount heat sink and clean up wiring then i have a working motor driver!!!

Big thanks to Roman for the open source design, yourself for the help and answering of questions and POSIX for his interpretation of the one sided PCB!
    Newbie to CNC

LOL. So glad you got it working.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Yeah also quite happy, thanks again for all ur help
    Newbie to CNC