585,749 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Glentek ga370-3 "High Frequency"??

Question Glentek ga370-3 "High Frequency"??

Just wondering how a Glentek ga370-3 "High Frequency" servo amp driver differs from just a regular ga370-3? The X and Y axis servo amp boards, on my Milltronics mill, have the regular ga370-3 boards. But the Z axis board also says high frequency on it. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Just a guess, the PWM frequency rate is higher?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for reply Al. Been doing a lot of reading and I think that it applies to the carrier frequency. But I don't really don't know what carrier frequency is or how to check it.

Here is the back story on why I ask about "HIGH FREQUENCY":
    This board has been rebuilt twice and as soon as power is applied to it, the board is toast. The motor hooked to this board has been rebuilt, checked and checked and tested and tested. Has a new encoder. Two different service techs have been all over this machine and everything about it. I have spent hours tracing every wire on machine. Looking for shorts, bad spots, anything that could cause a problem. Thousands have been spent between service techs, rebuilding and new parts. The last Tech that worked on machine said that he has had bad luck with rebuild boards. And that maybe the board wasn't being repaired correctly.

So this is why I wonder if there is something special about this particular Glentek GA370-3. Something that a board repair shop would overlook.

Again any help from anyone would be much appreciated.

Thank you

S

If the board fails when power is applied Before the motor is hooked up then it is usually the output transistors, the motor is easy to check with an automotive battery for forward and reverse current with no load.
    I usually have replaced these older boards with A-M-C drives.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If the board fails when power is applied Before the motor is hooked up then it is usually the output transistors, the motor is easy to check with an automotive battery for forward and reverse current with no load.
    I usually have replaced these older boards with A-M-C drives.
    Al.
    Yes the output transistors are what fail every time.

I have been looking into using a different servo amp board but my first attempt didn't work out. I had a servo dynamics SDFPO1525-17 board from a decommissioned machine that sure looked like it would fit the bill. The specs all seemed right. But couldn't get it to work. I don't think the control would recognise it.

I went to A-M-C website. Looks like they have what I need, but my worry is that the Milltronics control won't like what I pick. As I'm sure you can tell I don't know much about servos, amp boards and the like. If I could be pointed in the right direction I know I can figure it out. What do I have to look for to know I'm buying a board that will work?

The main thing is that it has the ±10vdc analogue drive from the controller, you most likely have tach's on the motors, they are rarely used now, but the A-M-C has the option, the only other thing is drive enable, usually.
    The size of the drive according to the motor and the power supply rating of the drive,
    A-M-C have two versions, one where you already have an external power supply as in your case, and a version which includes the P.S.
    Incidentally, the BLDC version also drive a DC brushed motor as well, if you did go this route it is handy if ever wanting to use BLDC motors in the future.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The main thing is that it has the ±10vdc analogue drive from the controller, you most likely have tach's on the motors, they are rarely used now, but the A-M-C has the option, the only other thing is drive enable, usually.
    The size of the drive according to the motor and the power supply rating of the drive,
    A-M-C have two versions, one where you already have an external power supply as in your case, and a version which includes the P.S.
    Incidentally, the BLDC version also drive a DC brushed motor as well, if you did go this route it is handy if ever wanting to use BLDC motors in the future.
    Al.
    THANKS