585,744 active members*
4,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ULS M300 worth fixing?

I just inherited a ULS M300 laser with my new teaching position. It is a 2001 model that has not been used for 5 or 6 years. It looks good, but I know the powersupply is bad. I get no voltage out of either brick even when they are separated and tested. The fuses are good, just no power out. when I plug it in and turn it on nothing happens

The company tells me that after setting it will most likely need a new laser as well. Total cost of both repairs is around $3000

I am completely new to lasers, is this one worth fixing or should I scrap it and buy a new one? BTW: it is 30W 12x24 cutting area

I'd be a bit concerned to be honest, if the laser source & PSU are dead there may be other issues that are as yet unknown that could end up costing more money. A chinese machine of similat sped (albeit DC excited CO2) wont cost much more than the repair bill you are facing already.

best wishes

Dave

Do you still have it?

Hello, I have had those m300s before, id be willing to take it off your hands if you still have it?

Thanks

Mike

I ordered a new full spectrum. I still have the uls, if we don't fix it it will probably auction sometime in the spring. I have been kiking around the idea of using it with a hobby Cnc board to make a router.

Hello

Hello,

Using a laser platform for a router may not be the best idea, only for one reason, rigidity, lasers are meant to move very quickly with minimal weight on the rails, hence the small optic head (black box on rails). If you look on the rails for the m300 there are little donut wheels? Unless you replace the rails with linear rails, it may not work well...

Let me know if you want to sell it, I will buy it right now from you understanding that it doesnt work. The only reason is because I have a m300 that the UPS company destroyed while shipping it to me. The paid for it and gave me the machine so I have a working lasertube and powersupply.

Ill pay for UPS to pick it up and everything, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

PS if you want to build a CNC router, I have been building them for years, I can give you some great pointers and even walk you through building one from start to finish.