584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > G code to control default smoothness?

G code to control default smoothness?

Hello all,

Is there a G code to control default smoothness (setting 191?)? In my post I want to output Rough for positioning and Finish for cut moves because the acceleration/deceleration curve is way too slow to leave the setting at Finish all the time. I can use G187 to set the corner rounding tolerance but, for me, the big kahuna would be the ability to control default smoothness in my post. At the moment our Haas has longer cycle times than our other high speed machines but I think I can narrow the gap quite a bit by controlling default smoothness in the nc file.
    NX 10.0.3

Yeah. Read the Haas manual. It says:

G187 Setting the Smoothness Level (Group 00)
    G-187 is an accuracy command that can set and control both the smoothness and max corner rounding value when cutting a part. The format for using G187 is G187 Pn Ennnn.
    P Controls the smoothness level, P1(rough), P2(medium), or P3(finish).
    E Sets the max corner rounding value, temporarily overriding Setting 85.
    Setting 191 sets the default smoothness to the user specified “rough,” “medium,” or “finish” when G187 is not active. The “medium” setting is the factory default setting. NOTE: Changing setting 191 to “Finish” will take longer to machine a part. Use this setting only when needed for the best finish.
    G187 Pm Ennnn sets both the smoothness and max corner rounding value.
    G187 Pm sets the smoothness but leaves max corner rounding value at its current value. G187 Ennnn sets the max corner rounding but leaves smoothness at its current value. G187 by itself cancles the E value and sets smoothness to the default smoothness specified by Setting 191. G187 will be cancelled whenever “Reset” is pressed, M30 or M02 is executed, the end of program is reached, or E-stop is pressed.

Thanks for the quick info! I saw G187 in my manual but it only shows G187 Ennnn but not Pn. Hopefully my machine can do it. Now that I look at the manual date, the machine is older than I originally thought; the manual date is mid-2004, yikes. At any rate thanks for the info and I'll try it out asap.
    NX 10.0.3

Pretty sure G187 goes back to the 90's. I know the 90's machines have those same settings but back then we would just set them manually and not code in G187.
    Tim