585,758 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

BobCAD Multiaxis

BobCAD is now offering mulitaxis tool path, the question is do you need to have a 4 or 5 axis machine to benefit from these new tool path options?

No, if you are a tool and die or mold shop these new tool path options

• Parallel Cuts
    • Cuts along a curve
    • Morph between 2 curves
    • Parallel to multiple curves
    • Project curves
    • Morph between surfaces
    • Parallel to surface

Can be used in a 3 axis environment.

Sample Part:

upload picture

Before we offered Multiaxis you had limited options for cutting this part. 1, you would not be able to machine the undercut, 2, you could not drive a tool path to machine just the radius on the compound curve.

Tool path options like undercutting and flowline can be done by using the 7 new surface based multiaxis tool paths.

upload pictures

You can post these tool paths in 3 4 or 5 axis....
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Hi Big Al: So whats the final word on the new upgrade/update? Have the bugs/issues been cleared up with the post or post procs.

Can I /we update without a mess and downtime on 64 bit?

Can you post or direct us to a link that clearly covers 3ax use with the new upgrade.

My standard V25 is running fine and I just cant afford a messy downtime wrestling match.

Please advise. TG

BTW 1# Have help files been updated to reflect using the new paths / explantions?

2# Are the training vids for V 25 lathe out yet?

I see below you are showing the undercut, have new tool geometries been added, L pop etc.? Plese give us 3 axis peons some cool tool geo's....

DITTO! What he said!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please give insight and exactly what us 3 axis users can use in the upgrade..

all the multi axis stuff is getting confusing...suggestion form me is to ad a subforum for 4th and 5th axis users....

does "offering" mean it is for "purchase" or included int he update?
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chips View Post

all the multi axis stuff is getting confusing...suggestion form me is to ad a subforum for 4th and 5th axis users....
    IMO:

The new build is really a complete "upgrade". It's not a "bug fix" that all just need to apply and continue with all the old stuff.

It's been suggested that selecting the 3 axis mill machine that comes in the new build, will have things work as always, with your old post processor. I doubt this.

I am rebuilding my post from a default one that comes with the new install. It's taking some time, but when it's done, I'll have a post that runs the new system.

If you just run the update, and try to continue on like nothing has changed, then i believe you are asking for it... I could be wrong though, as I havnt tried to update and "run as I always have"......The old BobCad didnt care about Stock, machine, and was limited in many aspects (push button and cut)

The new system, is different.

The stuff Al is talking about comes with 4 and 5 axis that you can use in 3 axis mode,""I think.""Us 3 axis users ,besides some of the issues(bugs) fixed,mainly are getting from this Update:Advanced Pocketing(open pockets}:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana:
    and we get a p

And as Burr points out,behind the scenes stuff,that I think had to be done for 4 and 5.

If not for the addition of advanced pocketing and some of the bugs fixed,Would it be better just not to update????????Would not a better idea be to not mix the 4 and 5 axis in the same version/build.Therefore the 3 axis users wouldn't have to enjoy the fun of everything?Maybe not possible,but geez

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Would it be better just not to update????????Would not a better idea be to not mix the 4 and 5 axis in the same version/build.Therefore the 3 axis users wouldn't have to enjoy the fun of everything?Maybe not possible,but geez
    I wouldnt think this is better. You wont have 5 axis if you dont pay for it. Their handing out stuff for free here...... But, a little effort on your part to get your post up to spec, will go along way for you. If that seems unreasonable for you to tackle, then I suppose you could remain on the old build.

I suppoe you could just push a few buttons and load it and start a really good "WTF" thread....

I suppoe you could just push a few buttons and load it and start a really good "WTF" thread....

ha,ha,ha,do we have room for one more of those threads,aha

some readjusting is not unreasonable...however hours of or days of adjustments and numerous help post is out of line...without a read me file that instructs user on how to accomplish upgrade successfully.

so is it safe to update??? and do we need a 4th-5th axis user subforum???

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    IMO:

The new build is really a complete "upgrade". It's not a "bug fix" that all just need to apply and continue with all the old stuff.

It's been suggested that selecting the 3 axis mill machine that comes in the new build, will have things work as always, with your old post processor. I doubt this.

I am rebuilding my post from a default one that comes with the new install. It's taking some time, but when it's done, I'll have a post that runs the new system.

If you just run the update, and try to continue on like nothing has changed, then i believe you are asking for it... I could be wrong though, as I havnt tried to update and "run as I always have"......The old BobCad didnt care about Stock, machine, and was limited in many aspects (push button and cut)

The new system, is different.

Thanks for being honest...I will take your advice as well..and NOT update..

maybe here soon they will give a help file (DETAILED) on how to upgrade... thats what is needed.... IMHO

Thanks for being honest...I will take your advice as well..and NOT update..

maybe here soon they will give a help file (DETAILED) on how to upgrade... thats what is needed.... IMHO
    There is not much to "doing the update". It runs and it's done. Once you do that, then the new system needs to be setup. There is information in the help file regarding this. (set to use online help and read it is you want) I think you did get bit with the last update, but not quite as bad as it may have appeared. The build needed to be pulled for the arc output issue (This made most of the generated "code" not usable) There was a thread lead issue (it's fixed) and an engrave thing (fixed).

The permissions issues could have been easily solved with a 5 second clciking session. I never uninstalled the last build, and have been working it over until this latest release. I dont think it is "punch and go" though. It needs to be setup.

May be good if you dont have a "Non-working" environment, like me, to wait a couple more days, until I get my post and machine setup correctly (I'm getting help with this at the moment), then we can look at stuff together. I'll be glad to generate a few toolpaths with you, but more importantly, we could look to generate "what you will be needing" to confirm the update you would like to make. This way you can avoid it not going smoothly for you. For me, I'll be somewhat familier with the post.

A few things here. The new build is up and as burr has stated there is setup that is needed,We have added a lot of features and options to the new version being the mulitaxis release.

With that being said we need to release a getting started document that goes over the setup to make it easier for everyone to understand the changes that are in the software.... If you are having issues please call support so we can help you.

If you are interested in what was changed added for fixed in the new release I recommend reviewing the release notes.

http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/upl...aseNotes-1.pdf

Also the mulitaxis options that we are offering are purchased upgrades/ add ons.

Ok back to flow / undercut machining in the mulitaixs V25. This video walks through how to draw this sample part.

The design:

upload picture

Video Link How To:

Surface Design - adepoalo's library
    Al DePoalo

Now that we have the part designed we want to look at some of the steps we could take to machine the part.

For V25 Pro customer you have the Advanced roughing tool path with the adaptive option. This would be a great start to remove the bulk of the material or rough the part out.

Using the adaptive options we promote:

a. Constant Cutting Conditions

b. Ability to use higher feed rates

c. Extended tool and machine life

d. Reduced overall machine cycle times on job

To learn more about this tool path options and how it works use this link:

Manufacturing Software Company Takes New Machining Technology to Industry | BobCAD-CAM

Here is a top view of the generated adaptive roughing tool path on our sample part:

free image hosting

The next step we might be using a Z level finish as a semi finish and then following up with a equidistant offset.

Here is a screen shot of the equidistant offset:

free image hosting

The equidistant is an excellent "catch all" tool path but what if we wanted to just machine the radius and nothing else?

This is where you'll need the multiaxis options in V25.

Using Morph between 2 curves we can drive the tool path to follow just the radius in a spiral cut path.

Here is a screen shot of the tool path we are looking to create:

upload photo

Here is the How to Video link: Morph between 2 curves - adepoalo's library

Use this link for additional information on Morph between 2 curves:

Morph Between Two Curves
    Al DePoalo

Nice stuff Al.... Would I be correct in assuming all the 3 axis paths generated in the Multi-Axis package are linear code output? i.e. all G1 moves no G2/G3 moves

That would be correct.

Here is another example of using Morph between 2 curves

Al DePoalo

Another feature I really like is the pencil in the 3 Axis Pro...

online photo storage
    Al DePoalo

does "offering" mean it is for "purchase" or included int he update?

Big Chips right on the suggestion to add a sub forum for 4th and 5th axis.My thoughts.How do we go about making this suggestion so the right people will hear about it and give it some consideration???Who are the right people???Is it Democratic and we vote??????ha,har

The main reason for my suggestion is and was...I ONLY care about what 3 axis can do in Bobcad and I know this will only clog up the forums and people will get confused and as to the features and ect...

take this thread for instance...nice and very informative..BUT 3 axis users can do a damn thing with it... but ask questions like i did and take up AL valuable time...

hey,AL

are you going to be at the PRI Show next month and will you guys have a machine running demonstrating V25?

As stated by Al in his 1st paragraph. The 5 axis paths have options to be output in 4 or even 3 axis mode. So all the new paths for 5 axis can benefit a 3 axis user. His examples are showing how a 5 axis path can be used to cut parts in 3 axis..including an undercut regin

Hth

Ac

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
    AC
    Has anyone seen my pillow?

Page 1 of 2 12