585,722 active members*
4,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper Motor Selection- Amperage, Voltage, and Driver Question

Stepper Motor Selection- Amperage, Voltage, and Driver Question

I'm using this driver http://files.panucatt.com/datasheets...user_guide.pdf

which says it supports up to 2 amps and up to 35 volts max (with additional cooling). Its typical to use NEMA 17 motors with these drivers but I would like to run one axis of a 3d printer using a NEMA 23 motor so I can get higher torque. The problem is that I don't know enough about steppers to know what is good and what is bad. I need it to run fairly cool as they are mounted using ABS brackets.

Here are the stepper options I'm looking at 57BYGH402

What factors are important to consider? I'm really interested in the 57BYGH301
    2 phase
    5.88 volts
    1.4 amps
    4.2(O) resistance
    15mH Inductance Phase
    15 Kg./cm Holding Torque

That seems like a good option, but all of this almost seems to simple, that is nearly 3 times the torque of my current NEMA 17 steppers. Am I overlooking something?

Please let me know

Thanks,
    Clay

The 57BYGH301 is apparently a 6-wire motor, while your driver is set up to handle 4-wire motors.

So to use that motor with your driver, you would have to choose 4 out of the 6 wires to use, by selecting either a full-coil hookup or a half-coil hookup. The 15 mH inductance is fairly high - if you use the half-coil hookup you can reduce the inductance somewhat.

For a description of the full-coil vs. half-coil hookups, see Support, in particular figures 9 and 10.

Heat might be a concern - ABS supposedly has a melting point of 105 degrees C, but I'm not sure where it might start to become easily deformable short of the melting point. Stepper motors can run hot - some of the specs that I have seen show a max operating temperature of 80 degrees C above ambient temperature, which would be dangerously close to the melting point if you let it get that hot. So you might consider either adding some heat sinking metal to the motor mount, or else keep the motor current to a value that keeps the temperature within an appropriate range.