584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Smile PICSTEP Testing

Is there a way to test a step motor and the PICSTEP V4 driver together for motor movement without being connected the interface card? I have my 36v power supply connected and a separate 5v power supply to driver the circuitry of the PICSTEP driver.

Thanks

My my my. I think that this just might do the trick.

Thanks Dude!

Hi Doorknob,

I built the tester. The tester outputs voltage pulses at the "Direction" lead and "Step" lead as indicated in the plans. Unfortunately the PICSTEP V4 did not respond. Can anyone help with the diagnostics of the PICSTEP V4 drivers?

Things that I have done and confirmed, to the existent of my knowledge.
    1. Doubled checked the solder points.
    2. Check for voltages on the driver; 5V for PIC and and 35V for PWM.
    3. Confirmed the data on PIC.

If anyone can guide me more, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

You are faster than I am! I decided to build the little tester board for myself yesterday, but I need another hour of work on it before firing it up.

I do not have direct experience with the PICSTEP V4, but here are a few suggestions:

1) Do you have the enable pin set to enable the driver?

2) Are you sure that the PIC has been programmed?

3) Is the PIC actually running? Is there some signal that you can test that would only be present if the PIC firmware is running?

4) Are you certain that the pin numbering that you are using on the PMinMO interface header is correct, so that the step and dir signals that you are applying to the header are actually showing up on the proper PIC pins?

Do you have a schematic?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    You are faster than I am! I decided to build the little tester board for myself yesterday, but I need another hour of work on it before firing it up.

I do not have direct experience with the PICSTEP V4, but here are a few suggestions:

1) Do you have the enable pin set to enable the driver?

2) Are you sure that the PIC has been programmed?

3) Is the PIC actually running? Is there some signal that you can test that would only be present if the PIC firmware is running?

4) Are you certain that the pin numbering that you are using on the PMinMO interface header is correct, so that the step and dir signals that you are applying to the header are actually showing up on the proper PIC pins?
    Hi Doorknob,

Well, I'm running a little on the fast side because of a few commitments that I have to keep. LOL I'm very very new to "hands-on" to this technology, even though I've read much about it, so be patient with me. Thanks!

To answer your questions directly.
    1. Where is that pin? (Don't laugh...oh well laugh...I am). I'm using PMinMO's 5 axis board. JP6 and JP7. If you're speaking about JP7, which are jumped?

2. Very sure. I verified it with the programmer that I built. I burned it, read it and confirmed that this is data on the chip with no conflicts.

3. News to me. Don't know what I'm looking for. Can you help with that info.

4. Well, this is a two part answer. I'm sure that the cabling is correct. I read on PMinMO site that the cable needed to twisted around and I confirm that by making sure that the 5v pin matched up. I use the BOB to power the 3 PICSTEP and through verification on each driver I have 5v feeding the circuit.

So this is where I am with the boards. Hope to speak with you soon and thanks for the rapid response.

Bye

PS Are you or did you build PICSTEP V4 as well?
    PSS I'm in the process of getting a serial port cable (DB25). I have not connected to the computer yet. I live in the middle of the ocean and awaiting my cable's arrival. I want to workout the functionality logistics before the cable came.

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    Do you have a schematic?
    To which circuit?

1) According to the description of the PMinMO 10-pin interface connector at DIY Interface Technical Information, pin 1 is used for an enable signal, and you must set it 'low' (ground) to enable it.

3) I have not built or used a PICSTEP controller, and so I'm not even sure where to find the schematic of the PICSTEP (that H500 was looking for). What is needed is to find some pin of the PIC that would be in one state if the PIC's clock was not running or the PIC was not actually executing code, and would be in a different state (or activity) with the firmware running. Without knowing more about which PIC is being used and how the firmware is using it, it is difficult for me to suggest what pin(s) that might be.

OK...I see what you mean. The schematic indicates at JP6 2 states; always enabled and through PIN14 of the DB25. Although I understand the schematic, seeing what it is you are explaining to me, I just don't understand the difference between the 2 states. I'll have to study more or just try them (blindly). WOW!

Any idea what JP7 does?

Forgive my questioning. I'm not a tech at all. I'm and architect who knows enough to get into trouble with electronics. LOL I've printed PCB by means of silk screening for the last 4yrs, drilling by hand (1000s of PCBs) and now need the assistance of a CNC.

I saw some recent chat from Alan Garfield online. Maybe he'll will be able to shed some light on the PIC mapping. I'll try anyway.

Thanks again.

Can you post a link to the schematic to which you are referring?

Quote Originally Posted by cpeter View Post
    To which circuit?
    The picstep you built.

The LM18245 pin 10 has to be grounded to enable the chip . It is connected to pin 1 of conn1 on the picstep and is held high with a 10k resistor to +5
    This means you need to ground pin 1 to enable it.
    Jumper pind 2and 3 on the Breakout board to ground pin 1 on the picstep.
    One a computer is attached yo can jumper pins 1 and 2 using pin 14 to drive the pin to low.

Those looking for circuit look at https://github.com/alangarf/picstep

PS: I hope you meant you ordered a parallel port /printer cable as you can not run this off a serial port

Quote Originally Posted by george4657 View Post
    The LM18245 pin 10 has to be grounded to enable the chip . It is connected to pin 1 of conn1 on the picstep and is held high with a 10k resistor to +5
    This means you need to ground pin 1 to enable it.
    Jumper pind 2and 3 on the Breakout board to ground pin 1 on the picstep.
    One a computer is attached yo can jumper pins 1 and 2 using pin 14 to drive the pin to low.

Those looking for circuit look at https://github.com/alangarf/picstep

PS: I hope you meant you ordered a parallel port /printer cable as you can not run this off a serial port
    H500 - The link you need is above. This is where I down loaded the files. The BOB I got from PMinMo.com. I chose the 5axis BOB.

George thanks for the info. Like I said in my last post. I can read the schematic for its connections, but you've explained to me why and how they function.

I read the schematic for the PICSTEP and I do see where the 10k resistor goes to 5v on pin1 of conn1. It's very clear now. Thank you very much. So for now I'll jump pins 2 and 3 on JP6 until my cable comes to change it to pins 1 and 2. Please explain JP7 if you will.

Do you know of a way of testing motor function (activity) of my configuration without being connected to a computer? Doorknob suggested a test circuit which I built and will try testing the circuit with this circuit to see if I can get any movement. Doorknob suggested testing the PIC itself to see if the software is running. I'm in agreement with him on that. If you can please shed some light on the matter if you can.

Thanks.

PS. Yes, I ordered a db25 male to male. LOL not a 9pin RS232. I do know that difference. But I'm glad that you asked asked anyway.

Hi Doorknob, H500 and George4657,

As of this morning, my system responded well. With the adjustments that George4657 suggested and Doorknob's mini test circuit, the motors are stepping freely.

I have another question. Which step arrangement should I use for the firmware 16-8 time off, 16-8 time reduced, 8-4 time off or 8-4 time reduced. I programmed the PICs for 16-8 time reduced. Please advise. If this info helps I print PCBs.

Thanks Guys.

I can't wait for my cable. In the mean-time the CNC table build.

Thanks again.

I had a quick look at the code and I'm not sure if I am right, but the code you selected looks good to me. I think it will let you select between 8 or 16 microsteps. It will also reduce rather than turn off the drive at standstill.

H500 Thanks for the info. I'm still a little curious about what JP7 does on the 5Axis BOB.

I'll have my cable by Monday and I'll try the real test with Mach3.

Ciao!

If jp7 is jumpered pin 1 turns on a power transistor which is connected to X5-1
    You can connect an external device via relay to this pin. For example put a 5 volt relay connect to X5-1 and X5-2 with the relay running on the spindle motor. You then can turn on and off the spindle via pin 1 on the db25 connector.

Thanks a lot George. I use JP7 just for that then.

You have been a blessing in these past few days as have all of you. Well, good news. I could not wait for my cable to come due to all of the excitement of my motor moving. So I took a parallel cable, cut off the printer connection side, went to the local tech shop and found a DB25 head and soldered of the pins to there counter points. Rev'd up the computer connected the cable, started Mach3 and watched my motor move according to the G-Code file. I did notice the on 2 off the motors, I have the coil connection inverted. I only looked at it when the motor should have made a move and did not. LOL Easy enough to fix.

Have to work on it later. Have to leave the house with wife. Don't want to hear how have spent more time with my CNC than her. It sounds funny when she tells me what she thinks, that's because she speaks Spanish and I don't very well. LOL

Well It's Sunday in the afternoon and I have made the adjustments that I need to the system. When running the G-Code the motors function as they should. Running the motors at 16-8 time reduced works fine. Very smooth.

Because this is the very first CNC that I've built, I don't know the nature of motors and drivers. They run hot. Is this normal? I put a fan on each of the driver dissipation cores to lower the operating temp of the PWMs. I'm thinking about making motor mount from aluminum to reduce their heat as well. Any experience or thoughts.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12