585,737 active members*
4,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need opinions...

I was 1.5 hrs into a 2.5 hr texturing run for a big commercial sign I'm carving... My shop vac burnt up (three hours ago, and the room still smells like electrical fire)... fifteen years I've had this shop vac, and with the bearings making noise for several months, running it for an hour and a half straight on a warm day, inside of a sound box was all it could take.... So I need to run into town tomorrow and replace it....

I finished cutting the texture without vacuum.. (sign foam, so things are a little messy now).. but have to get another vac before I attempt to do the cutout profile...

Was thinking of getting this dust collector from HF seeing as it has over 900 cfm for the same money or less than the big box stores ask for a shop vac in the 200-225 cfm range.... but I know that not all stats are the same...

Eventually, this CNC machine will get moved out of the house and rebuilt in the shop where my new grizzly dust collector is....... (that project start date is actually seeming like it might not be far off)..

okay, background for question complete... Here's what I am asking.. The HF dust collector will replace a shop vac which was pulling dust from the CNC cutter through a 2.5" hose (about 20' total).. It connected to a dust deputy where another 10' of 2.5" hose connected to the shop vac.. the idea is to couple a 4" to 2.5" reducer directly to the output of the HF dust collector, and then draw through the total of 30' 2.5" hose with the dust deputy in the middle..

Will this work as well or better than the shop vac? Or is there a problem reducing the intake and drawing it through a dust deputy? Is the air volume too much for the standard dust deputy? Or will that still work as I'm accustomed...

I have to decide tonight, as this project is on the fast track and I'm driving down into the valley for a replacement first thing AM...

It'll probably work worse than a shop vac.
    Generally, using a smaller hose on a dust collector will reduce it's performance. Ideally, you want the shortest hose possible, without reducing diameter.

What you really should be doing is getting the 2HP HF dust collector and running a 4" hose to the router. I got my 2HP DC for $140 with a coupon.

But, without changing hoses, I'd just get another shopvac. It's not the best long term solution, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It'll probably work worse than a shop vac.
    Generally, using a smaller hose on a dust collector will reduce it's performance. Ideally, you want the shortest hose possible, without reducing diameter.

What you really should be doing is getting the 2HP HF dust collector and running a 4" hose to the router. I got my 2HP DC for $140 with a coupon.

But, without changing hoses, I'd just get another shopvac. It's not the best long term solution, though.

Long term,.. I have the brand new 2hp grizzly Dust Collector out in the shop.. But bringing it in the house is not practical... And my plan for that is to use 6" metal heater duct run throughout the shop, (through a trash can separator) as close to possible to various point of use where it will be reduced to 4", 2.5", or whatever as needed....

I just thought that with HF's 'warranty' program.. I could abuse one of these all I want without worry, until I rebuild the machine out in the shop...

So basically, you're saying it won't be able to draw through the 2.5" hose?.... Would a second hose attached to it (doing nothing.. open to room air) help?

So I ended up getting this one from Lowes.. Thing works good and is considerably quieter than my old one.... I don't usually buy store's 'extended warranties' but I bought the 2 year one for this thing... Because I'll be using the heck out of it and running it for long periods.... It's nice to know that I can just bring it back for any reason for the next couple years and get an on the spot replacement....

I'd be curious if the fine print on that extended warranty isn't going to say "does not apply to commercial use". Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I mulled over that concept briefly when i bought a Bosch Colt from Lowes.
    Being that I live on a rock, all the big box store's Bosch Colts(and other things) were slightly used.
    That gave me doubts, and for $10 I thought why not for a warranty.
    But thinking in retrospect, ethics are neglected in that situation if I were to regularly thrash equipment, and manipulate the extended warranty. Perhaps if it dies with some of my use I'll use the warranty, but I'm thinking if it's had it's time I'll buy another one or go with a VFD.