585,982 active members*
4,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 21T No sign of Life!

Hello all,
    We have recently acquired a Hardinge Cobra CNC Lathe with Fanuc 21T control. It looks like the Servo Amplifier Module A06B-6080-H304 has a fault.
    When we power on we have the following;

Power Supply Module PIL Green light on and ALM 02 showing
    Spindle Amplifier Module PIL Green Light on and ALM A showing
    Servo Amplifier Module No illumination at all i.e. no red LED. Unit is receiving DC voltage and the fan is working, otherwise no sign of life.

The computer adjacent to the Servo Amplifier Module has 'status alarm' 2 red lights on and 4 green lights NOT on. Also, the monitor on the front of the machine blinks momentarily when you switch the computer on but does not 'come on'.

If the Servo Amplifier Module is at fault, could this cause all of the symptoms described above?

Any advice gratefully received!

start by looking through the hardware section of the 21 series maintenance manual....
    http://www.cnccenter.com/pdfs/62705en.pdf
    Look at section 2 from pages 103 onwards

it has all the LEDs shown and what they mean.
    There should also be a number on some of the modules (a 7-segment LED)

Many thanks fordav11 - much appreciated. I'll investigate tonight and see how it looks.

An AMP shouldn't keep the control from displaying. Think you are either not getting the 5/24 VDC where it should be. If it's a new used install, I would suspect a transformer is not tapped correctly. Hopefully you didn't put 480 on a 208 machine or something bad like that.

Thanks for the comments underthetyre. The data plate on the machine asks for 3 phase 400 amp input so should be fine. Concerned now that there is more than one issue with this machine. I'll check the the DCV as you have highlighted just to be sure. Having reviewed the manual for LED Alarm Status, we appear to have a combination not recognised i.e. 2 x reds and no greens!
    I have asked a local company who repair / exchange FANUC Modules to price for bench testing the four modules. I do however note and agree with your comments re the monitor. It all looks expensive from down here! Thanks again.

Many thanks fordav11 - much appreciated. I'll investigate tonight and see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by GC1 View Post
    Thanks for the comments underthetyre. The data plate on the machine asks for 3 phase 400 amp input so should be fine. Concerned now that there is more than one issue with this machine. I'll check the the DCV as you have highlighted just to be sure. Having reviewed the manual for LED Alarm Status, we appear to have a combination not recognised i.e. 2 x reds and no greens!
    I have asked a local company who repair / exchange FANUC Modules to price for bench testing the four modules. I do however note and agree with your comments re the monitor. It all looks expensive from down here! Thanks again.
    You better check again! No hardinge that size EVER uses 400 AMP. And you still havn't answered the first question on voltage.

Yes, sorry volts not amps! As a new 'used' machine all we have done is supply the 3 phase assuming?!! all other settings to be correct.
    I'll check the 1st point tomorrow i.e the supply DCV to the modules.
    Thanks again.

Assuming=magic smoke

IF the last shop was 400VAC, and IF your 400VAC, then yes. I don't know voltage variations in the UK, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, here we can go 5 miles and be anywhere from 202VAC to 245VAC (or 460-490VAC). In this case, all the step down transformers need to be tapped for the proper incoming voltage. Now, all the Hardinge CNC i've worked on is all 220VAC, but I do know Fanuc does make 400VAC stuff, and it would be printed right on the tag of the drive unit which one you have.

We have life. Checked the DCV supply to the modules and they were around 17 DCV. On checking the in/out voltages from the main transformer, two coils showing 170 V out and the third 120 V. Turned out to be a very bad connection on one phase in front of the main transformer. I do like a happy ending (cheap! I am Scottish).
    Many thanks for your help & keep up the good work.

Dear Sir,
    I bought a Cobra 42 with 21I-TA, I lost parameters of that due to battery fail. Could you please help me?
    Email: [email protected]