584,857 active members*
4,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > LMS vs Machine Tools Warehouse for Lathe

LMS vs Machine Tools Warehouse for Lathe

I'm just getting into machining and want to set up my home shop. I want to get a lathe and mill and I think I've narrowed down the lathe part of the equation, but wanted some advise before I pulled the trigger.

I've only going to be making relatively small things (model engineering), model engines etc. The largest flywheel I'd probably machine would be 5-6". The guys at Machine Tools Warehouse have a larger 8.5 x 16 TopTech machine that looks pretty nice. (https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=254&page=1). LMS has the same machine, but I'm wondering if I should just get the smaller, cheaper mini-lathe from LMS instead for the type and size of work I'd be doing. The consensus seems to be get the biggest/heaviest lathe you can afford/house, but ultimately I'd be getting the mini-mill as I could not get anything heavier into a basement shop without reinforcing the stairs in my house.

I'm in Canada, so the options are limited and I don't want to buy from BusyBee. The support and accessories around the LMS products seems to be pretty good which is why I'm a bit torn. Not sure about the Machine Tools Warehouse as I have not found much about them online.

Any suggestions? The price on that MTW machine is pretty good and comes with a stand and some tooling.

Well, I can provide my experience and opinions for you and you can take them for what they are worth.

1st I too live in Canada and I agree that dealing with Busy Bee is not always the best experience (more often the opposite for metalworking and machine tools).

I bought a mill from Pat at MTW and he was pleasant to deal with and made good ($50 off) when the local delivery guys sat on my delivery for 4 days instead of delivering it.

The lathe from MTW you linked to looks pretty nice for the size and includes the QCTP, plus you'll love the variable speed.

You do have lots of options for buying a lathe don't let your basement scare you off. I too have a basement shop and both my machines are at the medium - large end of the hobby machine spectrum with a used 13" x 34" Standard Modern lathe and a MD001 from MTW (the big/long travel RF45). Both machines weigh a lot - the mill is 1000lbs and the lathe 1400lbs.

Both machines made it to my basement in pieces. I have to admit that the lathe was worse than the mill but not for the reason I expected. The lathe bed weighed ~ 300lbs which my brother and I handled ok , just take a few steps then put it down, lots of good grip places, etc. It was the cabinet base that was a problem - probably 400lbs and bulky, akward and no grips!

Anyways I digress - unless your stairs cause you to think you're going to fall through them as they stand now you can probably get some half decent machines into your shop. Dis-assembly is easy and the individual pieces can be handled by 1 or 2 guys (usually pieces are sub 200lbs on the machines larger than a mini mill)

I previously had a 3-in-1 from Busybee and am I ever glad I got larger machines - even though I too am building small steam/stirling/vacuum/ic engines I appreciate the capability of the larger machines almost every time I use them.

Also - keep in mind that Grizzly now delivers to Canada. yet another option for mills and lathes (with apparently good after sales service)

Thats probably more than enough for now. Good luck.:cheers:

Mike

Thanks Mike I really appreciate your response.

Been doing tons of research every night for weeks and am getting closer to a final decision. Given you are doing the same kind of work I want to do, maybe you could answer a few more questions:

1) Right now I'm fairly certain I'll go with either the D210x400V (9 x 16) or the slightly larger D250x550V (10 x 22) from Machine Tool Warehouse. Other than size and $300 more they are identical. Would you get the larger machine? I did look at Grizzly (G0602) too, but it does not have variable speed from what I saw.

2) How much did you end up spending on tooling to get started? Trying to figure out how much to budget for this part.

3) Did you DRO your lathe? I was considering doing this as well.

4) How easy is it to tear down a lathe to take it down in pieces, and how easy is it for a mechanically inclined newbie to put it back together within tolerance?

Regarding the stairs, the house is 6 years old and when I called a moving company they all said you could most likely get 4 guys and a 900 lbs piano down stairs without issue. They however want to charge around $300-400 to move it from the garage to the basement, so if I can break it down and move it with a friend that would be ideal as I'd rather spend that money on tooling and stock.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,

1. I haven't looked at those machines too closely but the larger ones would normally get my vote. Bug MTW to get some more details on it - I think it should be nearly the same as the busybee model CX700 that has few more features like a quick change gearbox.

2. I can't easily answer that and I'm not sure I want to know! I ordered alot of my QC tool holders from online US retailers for way cheaper than any Canadian source (it's all made in China anyways). Check out Shars.com (they also sell as discount_machine on ebay). I had a bit of tooling from my previous lathe but I've been buying the right size stuff for this one so I've probably sunk close to $500 but not all in one shot - 50 here and 100 there...buy as you need. BTW if you like I can send you a PM with link to 2 sites I like for model engineering - lots of good reads in them and one really useful link for selecting carbide for small lathes...Stick to HSS to start and you'll save alot of money learning (break HSS, regrind it, break carbide - open your wallet..)

3. Yes - very recently too - I just installed it 2 weeks ago. Doing so I found out my cross feed screw is metric (5mm pitch = 0.196" per turn) - very nice to have a DRO but you can get by without. Be sure to buy a set of calipers and micrometers first.

4. My lathe was fairly easy to tear down as the headstock is aligned to the ways by the v's on the ways. Some of the Chinese machines don't have that alignment method so getting the head back on straight could be a real challenge. On the other hand I don't think you'd need to take the headstock off the machines you're looking at. At 120kg (265lbs) for the complete machine I think just removing a few of the easy bits like the chuck, cross slide, tail stock and maybe motor would lighten it up enough for 2 people to carry it.

FYI - Here is a picture of my lathe all stripped down ready to go to my basement.