585,956 active members*
4,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Dwell marks?

Dwell marks?

Hi guys.

NZ2000 T2Y2

Noticed this morning after setting up a repeat job, that there appear to be dwell marks evenly spaced on the face and OD of the part being m/c'd on spindle one.

They are timed to the rapid retract moves of the internal threading cycle that is happening on spindle two.

I have sync'd the turrets to avoid this, but am puzzled by the sudden appearance of this.

I have not seen it before. Not on the previous job, and certainly not on the last batch of these particular parts.

The machine is ~18 months old (but has been through a flood).

I initially thought some sort of mechanical or foundation issue, and the Boss reckons it's power supply.

Anyone seen and fixed this before, or suggest a place to start looking when I finish this run?

Thanks.

I'd guess center pads of the machine not on the ground any longer, causing bouncing during rapid. I agree with foundation problems.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I'd guess center pads of the machine not on the ground any longer, causing bouncing during rapid. I agree with foundation problems.
    +1

Machines should be releveled and realigned about once per year. Seems yours is 6 months past due.

Quote Originally Posted by zooloader View Post
    NZ2000 T2Y2
    They are timed to the rapid retract moves of the internal threading cycle that is happening on spindle two.
    I also run this machine, and have similar issues with machining lines/ surface anomalies that can interfere with keeping within surface tolerance specs. Rapid motions as well as spindle acceleration can produce these marks on either spindle, we also combat this with sync codes, or running a critical finish op by itself.
    I will be interested to hear if "re-leveling" you machine has any affect on this problem.

Most likely a foundation related problem. NZ2000 i a quite heavy machine with a lot of mass that moves around. We are experiencing the exact same problem, and Mori recomends a 20 inch concrete foundation for this machine.