585,937 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EZTRAK DX Won't Receive File from PC

Okay, let me preface this by saying I am not a mill operator, and probably never will be....

Some guys in our tool shop are working with a '95 Bridgeport EZTRAK DX, and it is connected to a PC via a serial cable. Using a program called Cimco(?) they are trying to send a .PGM file from the PC to the EZTRAK. The file appears on the EZTRAK screen, and the message on the PC says the file transfer completed successfully, but the EZTRAK never closes the session. The EZTRAK screen just says 'press ESC to abort.' The operators want to know how to save files onto the EZTRAK once they have sent them over to the EZTRAK.

Not sure if this is enough info, so let me know if you need any more.

Thanks.

I am not familiar with that software. I do not know if your cable is correct, nor if your communication parameters are set right. I do not know the length of the file, if the file is written correctly, or if it has the correct extension. Is it a G & M code file or a convesational file? What created it? As you can see there are a lot of places where the file transfer can get into trouble.

Why are you using the RS232 when the floppy drive is available?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I believe the software comes as part of MasterCAM 9.1. It is a 12 line program, that I believe is a 'sample' program right out of MasterCAM. It is a .PGM extension. I would assume the communication parameters are correct, because the file shows up on the EZTRAK screen. The last line of the program on the PC ends with ||END PRGM| (or something like that. I will go downstairs to confirm.) At the end of the program is an ASCII character, that the operators said needs to end the program. They also said it was working a few years ago, when the EZTRAK was across town in another plant, hooked up to a different PC.

They want to use the serial connection because they think the floppy drive is going bad, plus I guess they think it is a hassle to use the floppy for as much as they transfer files.

I am sorry but I never played with mastercam.
    You could prove a point by bringing the working PC over to the machine and seeing if it will communicate. Maybe the cable was damaged?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Master key

Some programs require a "dongle" or "master key" between the serial port and the cable to the controler. If this is missing it may be the problem. Those more versed in this please chime in.

Finshing a file/send operation to an EZTrak

The EZTrak controls I've worked with require a special character at the END of the file to tell it that the file transfer is complete.

Try getting your Cimco software to send a "trailer" after the file. The trailer must be a single EOT character (ASCII #4, or Hex 04). EOT means "End Of Text"

Most popular controls (Fanuc, Yasnac, etc.) will finish out when they see the "%" at the end of the file. Other controls (Cincinnati, EZTrak, GE2000, etc.) need this EOT character.