584,842 active members*
4,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > CNC Controller with Arduino - open source

CNC Controller with Arduino - open source

Hi,

I've made a cnc controller based on an Arduino UNO for my cnc mill - maybe someone has some use for it:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ZclkT-EL0]Open Source CNC Controller with Arduino - YouTube[/ame]

• Its free and open source (VB.NET 2010 / AVR Studio 6 Assembler... not exactly an Arduino project - it just uses one as convenient and inexpensive hardware platform).
    • Uses a wireless Logitech gamepad to manually control the machine from a few steps per second up to full speed.
    • Controls the VFD of my chinese spindle with just 2 resistors, 1 capacitor and 1 optocoupler...
    • Quite fast... >>70000 steps per second...
    • Some built in commands for drilling, circles, rectangles etc. with macro editor - quite nice for simple tasks that may be done without CAM program...

More Information:
    Estlcam.com CAM Software

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

Interesting project...

Could you explain a few things?

Does the Windows program send motion control instructions to the Arduino in real time over the USB connection, both when machining a part and when operating under manual control via the gamepad? Or are the motion control instructions downloaded to the Arduino and then interpreted there?

Are you using G-code interpretation within the Arduino, or are you sending step and direction signals from the PC to the Arduino?

(I guess that I could download and look at the open source files, but the answers to those questions will help me decide whether or not to do the download).

tried to download the software
    Norton said it was unsafe
    should I be surprised?
    cheers
    Mike

The windows program and the Arduino share the work:

• The Program is doing some preprocessing on the G-code - basically anything requiring floating point calculations and the look ahead.
    • Then the preprocessed commands are sent to the Arduino and stored to a buffer to avoid USB latency or program response issues.
    • Step generation itself is done by the Arduino (>> 70kHz possible). The ramp is stored in the Arduinos flash memory during setup and can be up to 4990 steps long (sinusoidal ramp)
    • Gamepad control is done by issuing a start command with axis, direction and speed to the Arduino - then a loop starts updating desired speed according to joystick position and reading back steps done by the Arduino until the joystick is back to neutral position when a stop command is issued.

@Mike: what is Norton reporting? I'm not aware of any virus on my computer.

Hello Christian
    tried to download Estlcam 2.5D (4.027)
    got this error
    followed the link and got this from Norton

hope that helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NortonError1.bmp   NortonError2.bmp  

Hello Mike,

WS.Reputation.1 should be a false positive.
    (You've downloaded my CAM Software not the CNC Controller Software) The problem with the CAM installation program is its license registration component - some virus scanners regard it as suspicious because it communicates with my website during the registration process.

Christian

aha I did wonder if that was the case
    sorry for the scare
    cheers
    Mike

I like the idea of the simple command setup for doing things like drilling that do not require a full-fledged CAD/CAM setup.

I have a lot of things keeping me busy right now, but will be interested in looking at your package in the future. Thanks for sharing it.

The Arduino Uno you are showing is not available. It comes now with a different
    processor.
    Why would the Duelinenove not work, I think it quite similar.

Hello,

The Arduino Duemilanove may work as it also uses a ATMega328 but there are 2 things that can cause trouble:

- It uses a different USB-Serial chip - I don't know if the FTDI accepts 100000 Baud as this is no standard baudrate
    - I don't know if the bootloader is compatible.

If you already have a Duemilanove you can just try if it works - however getting a UNO should not be difficult - they are sold by many vendors (the UNO always has a ATmega328 processor - but sometimes as DIL and sometimes as SMD package). Arduino Mega and all the other versions using a different processor definitively do not work.

Christian

Are you saying that the chip in your UNO looks different because it is a SMD but a
    ATMega 328.
    If that is the case than I will get a UNO with a 328 rather than monkey around with the
    Duemilanove.

Hello,

yes - the chip just looks different - but an UNO is always an UNO (at least as long as it is the official version and not some clone). You'll find both versions at the Arduino homepage: Arduino - ArduinoBoardUno

Christian

What is wrong!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slika-1.jpg  

Hello,

could you send me a mail what it tells after clicking the "Details" Button?
    Mail: [email protected]

Christian

OK, I will send to you but list of "Details" is too long!
    Regards,
    Slavoljub

Where is the download link? I don't see it on the main download page.

Dave

Hi,

I did some maintenance work on the homepage - the download will be back soon.

Christian