584,894 active members*
4,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Wtb Inventor and a cam software

Hey guys, first time here. If this is the wrong location, by all means move the thread. Im about to finish my assoc in cad at the local Community College. Im interested in buying inventor because ive used it for so long and like it alot. I was going to go the LT route but without being able to make assemblies that can have multiple ipts constrained and move with one another.... That was pretty much a no go on that. $4500 for the full program is out of the budget though. I had heard you can get 2 year licenses for the full one though. Anyone know where i may find info? I want the assembly part to design suspensions and such for hobbies. I would also like to find a cam software that i can import inventor files in and lay tool pathing. Ive already got a fab shop interested in me writing programs for him. Just want something user friendly. And also I will need a good desktop that can run the software well. Trying to keep my budget for all in the $4000 range if at all possible. Sorry about the no spaces, my phone wont let me lol. Thanks guys i look forward to your advice!

Also does anyone know if student discounts are available for any of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
    Also does anyone know if student discounts are available for any of the above?
    As far as student discounts go, anyone with a *.edu e-mail address can obtain software for free through students.autodesk.com; I use InventorCAM (SolidCAM in the Inventor GUI) and it's spectacular between iMachining and 3D Machining Strategies. I went from not knowing how to do diddly squat to making complex 3D parts in 10 weeks with virtually no machining experience. (GWizard helps me out too) I've used MasterCAM as well and some of these places do have student discounts or student use only things where it is free or somewhat limited from the full paid for version.

Good Luck! Inventor is great!

Quote Originally Posted by KUWill View Post
    As far as student discounts go, anyone with a *.edu e-mail address can obtain software for free through students.autodesk.com; I use InventorCAM (SolidCAM in the Inventor GUI) and it's spectacular between iMachining and 3D Machining Strategies. I went from not knowing how to do diddly squat to making complex 3D parts in 10 weeks with virtually no machining experience. (GWizard helps me out too) I've used MasterCAM as well and some of these places do have student discounts or student use only things where it is free or somewhat limited from the full paid for version.

Good Luck! Inventor is great!
    I know about the free stuff with being a student. BUT... It is not legal to sell designs using a student software edition (from what I have been told anyway)

Hey all. Bringing this back to life...

Ive got some business opportunities. Currently working on building a computer, and I want a CAD software similar to Inventor or Solidworks. But more like in the $2000 price range... That works the same.

It must have 3d solid modeling
    Drawing capability
    Assembly capability
    And presentation mode would be cool.

Im a student, so I can get any deals. This must be a license to use in manufacturing and not just personal use, and i want to be able to send files to others and be compatible with other software if possible....

WOuld this be sufficient??

Will I be able to keep running this for a long time? or does the license expire?

Download Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012. Buy Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 OEM. Cheap Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012

Nobody???

Take a look at IronCAD. It's got the solids and parametric capabilities of programs like Solidworks, supports assemblies and animates them for presentation, has 2d drafting, good sharing capabilities and does other stuff like sheet metal detailing. It's been around for a long time, but for some reason never gets talked about. It's about half the price of Solidworks, though.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

deuling

if you were practiced in cad, and you really feel it will generate income.. dont hesitate to go for autodesk stuff..

those links you posted they dont looking legit anyway.. you going to loose your money to sending them..

for cad drawings you can use draftsigth for free.. no any limitation..

solidmodeling you can go with rhino.. but on the end possible you need autodesk or solidworks.. i mean if you have plan to send out to customers..

I also keep hearing good things about Alibre for CAD. I might give it a try at some point!

I carry Bobcad V21 and the training professor training videos (200 training videos total to walk you through beginning to advanced CAD/CAM engineering) I can do a complete dual core Intel Core2 Duo Dell Optiplex computer with Windows 7 pro 32bit Shipped for $400.

Need more powerful software upgrade to Bobcad v25 three axis mill for $695 and save $2800 from buying direct from Bobcad.

total investment is $1095 including computer don't need the computer buy Bobcad from me and I'll pay the transfer fee for $200, and yes you can still opt for the upgrade to V25 total cost $895. My prices are the best period.

There's a reason Nasa, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin use Bobcad.

That iron cad looks almost identical to inventor!

But it's still over $3500....

I guess there is just no way for me to get around the big money lol. It's hard when you just got out of college to try and do this and drop that much.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Take a look at IronCAD. It's got the solids and parametric capabilities of programs like Solidworks, supports assemblies and animates them for presentation, has 2d drafting, good sharing capabilities and does other stuff like sheet metal detailing. It's been around for a long time, but for some reason never gets talked about. It's about half the price of Solidworks, though.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Can you pm me with more details please?

Quote Originally Posted by storm2313 View Post
    I carry Bobcad V21 and the training professor training videos (200 training videos total to walk you through beginning to advanced CAD/CAM engineering) I can do a complete dual core Intel Core2 Duo Dell Optiplex computer with Windows 7 pro 32bit Shipped for $400.

Need more powerful software upgrade to Bobcad v25 three axis mill for $695 and save $2800 from buying direct from Bobcad.

total investment is $1095 including computer don't need the computer buy Bobcad from me and I'll pay the transfer fee for $200, and yes you can still opt for the upgrade to V25 total cost $895. My prices are the best period.

There's a reason Nasa, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin use Bobcad.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
    and I want a CAD software similar to Inventor or Solidworks. But more like in the $2000 price range... That works the same.

It must have 3d solid modeling
    Drawing capability
    Assembly capability
    And presentation mode would be cool.
    Seriously Alibre has all of those, including fully Parametric design (a must), automatic documentation creation and right in the 2k mark (two options, from 999 to 1999 bucks). You can add other options as you need them later (CAM, FEA and more).

When I tested it last year it was my favorite CAD app (but as I just use them for hobby I decided to purchase the PE version, but later I found out other option).

About the link you posted earlier, that site "sell" illegal and fraudulent downloads. From their FAQ page:

The software purchased cannot be registered with the manufacturer. Though all updates and system upgrades are available for you;

2.4. Printed documentation and license are not available;

2.6. The Site provides users with detailed instructions concerning software downloading and installation. Once the product is downloaded and installed no technical support is provided. Our Support team provides help only with the installation and adjustment issues. You cannot receive technical support from the software manufacturer as well.

2.7. In case you are going to purchase any of the programs mentioned in the list below, you confirm you already have installed CD/DVD burning software or plan to purchase or obtain it in any other way. Your CD burning software must support image disks creation. Also you must already have or plan to purchase DVD-ROM hardware.
    Be careful and never purchase from sites that sell "OEM" apps

Awesome!!! My computer will be here next week, so hopefully the alibre has a trial version.

What's the plus of going full pe, over the $999? Can I still sell stuff with the $999?

Also is it a "you must buy a yearly license" program, or is it a buy once and done?

Thanks a bunch, I'm really stoked now!

And yes I read up on the soft storage stuff and did find it to be bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioric View Post
    Seriously Alibre has all of those, including fully Parametric design (a must), automatic documentation creation and right in the 2k mark (two options, from 999 to 1999 bucks). You can add other options as you need them later (CAM, FEA and more).

When I tested it last year it was my favorite CAD app (but as I just use them for hobby I decided to purchase the PE version, but later I found out other option).

About the link you posted earlier, that site "sell" illegal and fraudulent downloads:

Be careful and never purchase from sites that sell "OEM" apps

Both (the 999 and the 1999) seemed to be somewhat the same, only different was that the more expensive one had Sheet Metal modeling tools, more file formats support, team workflow tools and that "extra easy"(?, as the producers call it) surface modeling thing

Other than that both has the same base features (very similar to Inventor).

No year fees, unless you want to pay for the "Subscription Service" (extra support and all that)

Here is a link where you can see the differences in both versions (and download a 30 day trial):

Geomagic - Geomagic Design product comparison

*It seems that they have changed their product name

Please take note that this is just a recommendation based on my experience while testing different workflows for CAD apps, I'm sure both (Alibre and Inventor) will have some feature that the other won't

Thank you very much!

I'm excited to get the trial versions to see how I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Lioric View Post
    Both (the 999 and the 1999) seemed to be somewhat the same, only different was that the more expensive one had Sheet Metal modeling tools, more file formats support, team workflow tools and that "extra easy"(?, as the producers call it) surface modeling thing

Other than that both has the same base features (very similar to Inventor).

No year fees, unless you want to pay for the "Subscription Service" (extra support and all that)

Here is a link where you can see the differences in both versions (and download a 30 day trial):

Geomagic - Geomagic Design product comparison

*It seems that they have changed their product name

Please take note that this is just a recommendation based on my experience while testing different workflows for CAD apps, I'm sure both (Alibre and Inventor) will have some feature that the other won't