585,933 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Machine Definition
Page 1 of 3 123

Machine Definition

Who understands how the machine definition effects your posting?

online photo sharing

To get to the machine definition you go to CAM PART> Milling Tools> Default > Current Settings> Machine Definition.

Now before you start messing around with this know that using the BC_3x_mill will allow you to use posts like the previous build and nothing will change with how your code is generated.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

i dont

Will this help with my problem? Not out putting 4th axis indexes.

Yeah you might as well tell us.The way things are V25 is useless.I started to fiddle, now nothing works.Can't seem to get simulation back to all default settings.Time to roll back again.We need a getting started manual.Guessing what to do ,doesn't work for me.I'm not saying software buggy,I am saying that trying to set this up or explore the Machine Definitions,Every thing went to Crap.Nothing will simulate,nothing post.My bad,but so far no info for what to do.Big Chips you Copy??

Had to un-install and re-install to get back where I was.Now,what you say above about machine definitions,where you posing the question""Who understands how the machine definition effects your posting?""because you don't know??Or is it you want to know if the users know.If you do know ,please tell us.My advice to every one,unless you know 100% sure what your doing is DO NOT FIDDLE WITH MACHINE DEFINITION SETTINGS.
    A set up video should of accompanied this up-date.If you need v25 on daily basis for wurk,in my opinion,unless you really know your stuff,the up-date 769 is not ready to be used.My opinion only.This is from a 3 axis pro user.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Had to un-install and re-install to get back where I was.Now,what you say above about machine definitions,where you posing the question""Who understands how the machine definition effects your posting?""because you don't know??Or is it you want to know if the users know.If you do know ,please tell us.My advice to every one,unless you know 100% sure what your doing is DO NOT FIDDLE WITH MACHINE DEFINITION SETTINGS.
    A set up video should of accompanied this up-date.If you need v25 on daily basis for wurk,in my opinion,unless you really know your stuff,the up-date 769 is not ready to be used.My opinion only.This is from a 3 axis pro user.
    jrmach

I think it is ready to be used, just not used the way that we have all used the previous versions, that`s the big difference as I see it.

In the past we never gave a thought to a machine setup other than the very basic "MillingMachineSetup" facility we have used for years, now we all have to setup machines whether we like it/want it or not, it has to be like this for the 4th/5th axis modules and it works fine when setup properly.
    I agree that because this new system is so much different there should have been some proper instructions with it at the beginning and yes, it is a great big PITA for the 3 axis guys but once done it`s done with and it does "stick" unlike the old one that was a bit "hit and miss" that way

I think Al`s question is not so much about whether or not folks can get a Machine Definition setup but more about do we undestand why not setting the Machine Definition would affect Posting of code, I`ll hold my hand up to not being sure about that, I can understand it would affect the simulation but I still don`t see how it affects the code, code comes from the programs toolpath yes ? ? So how can that be affected by having to setup a machine definition for the simulation I honestly don`t know, and yes, I would like to know, just the same as you

Regards

machine def

I found out that if you dont select the bc_4x_mill it wont output the 4th axis index moves.

Hey Rob,I guarantee if you Fiddle wrong on the Machine Definitions,you will not be able to post.At All.Period.Then I could not get back to the default settings,and yes I know what I did,I just could not undo,my only option as un-install/re-install.I have the Luxury of using V23 so I can Fiddle.But I say again,If you need to make money and have no time to be down,update 769 is not ready.Or maybe better said,Documentation is not out to make 769 update work.

This can be true, if you screw up the default XML file for the machine definition you can " break" the software ,it will not simulate or post.

If you want to "Fiddle" with the machine definition as you put it, it's recommend that you do not work on the default setup.

Create a new one and "play" with that one. There is a lot of information in the help files that talk about machine definition and simulation. There are tutorials that cover building a machine and setting it up.

At this time BobCAD CAM software is a little more sophisticated and may take time to learn how to setup for 4 axis + . If you work with the defaults, you should not be having any issues. If you are having issues you need to report them and or call tech support.

It can be frustrating for all of us, but the new features we offer now will more than make up for the setup and learning curve.

It's new and we are all learning the system. If you are worried about production time, only use the new build on a back up seat and not the production computer.
    Al DePoalo

Getting Started MulitAxis V25

http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/upl...TI_10-2-12.pdf

"Machine Setup & Post Processor Installation
    It is important to properly define your machines within BobCAD-CAM. The machine file controls several aspects of the software.
    The machine file controls the following Items…
    • Simulation
    • Gouge & Collision Checking
    • Multi-Axis Posting Settings
    • Machines Physical Definition & Limits
    • BobCAD Software Defaults
    • Sub Program Output
    • Post-Processor used
    • Min. & Max. Feed Rates
    • Min. & Max. Spindle Speed
    • Unit Output
    • Sequence Numbering.
    • The file extension for G code files.

These Items must be configured for your software to work properly.
    The example used in the upcoming lesson is for a 3 axis mill with a 4th axis rotary table.

The steps used in the lesson will be the same steps used in creating any milling machine within BobCAD-CAM.

BobCAD-CAM supports all g-code based 3-5 Axis milling machines, the orientation and configuration of these machines are determined by the machine configuration within BobCAD-CAM.

It is strongly recommended that you first complete the tutorial in the next section before attempting to setup your machine within BobCAD-CAM."
    Al DePoalo

OK,I think I figured this out.As for machine Definitions and you are a 3axis pro mill user pick the BC_3x_Mill as Machine.Then unless you have the add-on pro simulation,do not touch the machine definitions.Not to be messed with at all.It will screw up things.Al is this correct????The lines are really Blurred on what is for what.Really need to leave us 3 axis users without the multi axes add on separate.Big Chips had a wonderful suggestion,maybe a sub forum for the multi axes.Things are getting mixed up in trying to sort out which goes to what.If I am right on the Machine Definitions,why not said don't touch??I can imagine this just the beginnings of a long road of frustration for current and especially new users by not keeping the different versions more separate from each other.If you have 3 axis pro,thats all you download.No help files,no grayed out,no options for other versions.If you want 4th then you have a different download with all that is needed for that.Same with 5th.Same with 3 axis with the new added multi axis option.The confusion,especially for Newbies will continue.Going to be a lot of unnecessary time wasted.Down load what you pay for and that is it.I am sure there must be a reason for not doing this,but just sayin this is going to be a never ending thing especially for every new customer,And that is not going to good for business,Or maybe,I am just incredibly slow and dumb then never mind the rant.Have a nice day

If you want to "Fiddle" with the machine definition as you put it, it's recommend that you do not work on the default setup.

Create a new one and "play" with that one. There is a lot of information in the help files that talk about machine definition and simulation. There are tutorials that cover building a machine and setting it up.

Al,if you are a 3 axis user,you cannot make your own machine or mess with the machine definitions unless you have the Pro Simulation.Correct????? Because when I did everything went astray.No fun.

jrmach

I suggest you take a visit at the rest of the CAM forums that are on CNC zone. If you find any with sub forums that are specific to 4 and 5 axis then BobCAD will follow suite, if you can not, than why we would need a sub forum?

We now offer 2-5 axis so when reading threads you'll need to pay attention to the topics. Please do not miss understand my tone, I agree there are more options and confusion as far as what to do with all these new features. We are here to help and everything with be smoothed out soon enough. Just slow down and take your time.

If you are a 3 axis mill pro user that you shouldn't adjust the machine definitions as they are defaulted to work correctly out of the box.

If you have an issue with the defaults please contact tech support.

If you are interested in understanding how to use the machine definitions I recommend you read the getting started PDF that I put a link up for in the last thread. This PDF will explain how it works and walks you through all the settings.
    Al DePoalo

If you are a 3 axis mill pro user that you shouldn't adjust the machine definitions as they are defaulted to work correctly out of the box.

Perfect,thats all that need to know.My point is if you only see what you paid for in the software,there would be one heck of a lot less confusion and problems.Now that may not be possible or practical but I believe this well be a pain in especially Newbies of trying to figure out what goes with what they bought and what they can and can't do or should not do.
    In my case last night,me bad,should of read help files carefully.I did not read the line about machine creation-pro simulation.So I tried to import STL OF Vice and that was where I was screwed,And I could not figure out how to undo.Uninstall /reinstall.Ughhh.If that stuff would not be in my version there would of been no problems.And I am sure I probably did some other things wrong.

What I would recommend for new users that are interested in learn more about the software is sign up for the weekly webinars. We have them every week and you can post questions about what topics you would like covered.

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/261745984
    Al DePoalo

Al,if you are a 3 axis user,you cannot make your own machine or mess with the machine definitions unless you have the Pro Simulation.Correct????? Because when I did everything went astray.No fun.
    I have created a new Machine Definition and it posts my code correctly, checks my travel limits, and I have only the standard simulation.

It IS easy to screw it up, I did it already in the previous build. This time around I used the article Al posted above and followed step by step how to set it up and it works perfectly.

I admit, it wasn't obvious to me that I should have used the BC_3x_Mill if I didn't have any of the upgrades. That might have saved me a lot of time the last few days. I literally rebuilt my post from scratch. But, in the long run I feel it will be a good investment of time. I do plan on upgrading, maybe even before our 5 axis machine hits the floor.

SBC.but did you try importing Stl for geometry?That's when everything went wrong for me.According to help files that is for the pro mdule.

I think you can build a machine with stl files even if you don't t have the 4 or 5 axis. yes they are used for the machine simulation. you just will not see the machine sum if you don't t have the multiaxis......

I wouldn't recommend it, doing so seems to be source of many problems.

or if you want to give it a shot make sure not to edit the default and read the getting started guide and follow the tutorial.
    Al DePoalo

That was the source.Glad to finally realize it.Going to try a simple go at it tomorrow.Simple part,but does have a tapping feature.Hope that goes well.From what I hear I have to set up tapping tools.Is this so even if I always use manual tools?

SBC.but did you try importing Stl for geometry?That's when everything went wrong for me.According to help files that is for the pro mdule.
    I did skip that step. Normally I poke and prod stuff to see if I can get it to do what I want but I already made the mistake of altering the XML before (way before the multi-axis was released) and all it did was cause me grief. I left it alone, for once

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    I think you can build a machine with stl files even if you don't t have the 4 or 5 axis. yes they are used for the machine simulation. you just will not see the machine sum if you don't t have the multiaxis......

I wouldn't recommend it, doing so seems to be source of many problems.

or if you want to give it a shot make sure not to edit the default and read the getting started guide and follow the tutorial.
    Can I ask another (possibly silly) question? In the Simulation window I can "Open Machine File" and pull up the sample machines and move the axes around and all that. But is it safe to say that we should leave this as "BobCAD_Sim" if we do not have the "pro" module?

Page 1 of 3 123