584,808 active members*
5,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach lathe update soon!

I noticed on the Tormach site's "Milling Around" blog, Andy posted a comment on 10/18/2012 that they filmed an update on the lathe and he hopes to have it posted shortly.
    I know I'll be on the lookout!

Got a chance to chat with Andy yesterday at LMS OPEN HOUSE in CA. He said they have a couple production test units on order to test the manufacturing process. Anyone who knows the process of creating an oem product avd understands Tormach passion for quality knows that means we are still a long ways off, but 2013 is very possible if there are only minor bugs to work out on the production models. The face that there will LIKELY be gang tooling OR turret is really neat!

As expected after release they will be looking into MORE accessories for it I asked about a simple bar feeder avd pneumatic chuck/c5 and he said it isn't in the plans on the initial release but likely as an add on later. YAY!

On a side note... Anyone debating the trouble of designing and building an enclosure may want to hold off for a little while longer... Didn't get many details, but once again Tormach sees the need and is looking into solutions.

I see Tormach uploaded a video on their new lathe, marked private : ( Where is the good link?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwSlu2d9bhg&feature=em-unknown"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwSlu2d9bhg&feature=em-unknown[/ame]

Jim

Hmm - looks like rigid tapping.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39jFRUYRYYw&list=UU1ZZj6qiO6bOUEL_bimF_sA& index=1&feature=plcp]Tormach Sneak Peak - Lathe Prototype Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Looks great!
    Love the programmable coolant feature and especially the bar feeder.

WOW... thats impressive. I wonder if there will be a turret or gang tooling option.

Really interested in learning what the target cost will be. Another toy I dont need but really really want

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Another toy I dont need but really really want
    +1

I love how they tossed in the bar feeder at the end. "Oh yea, lets pull more material in."

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    I wonder if there will be a turret or gang tooling option.
    In the first video's comments, Andy stated that a turret is planned as an option.

OK Andy, I've already got money set aside for it. When will they be available?

Is it actually showing rigid tapping? If it is, will that something that will come to the milling machines? Or will it be an option I could add to my Series II PCNC 1100?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.