585,727 active members*
4,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PWM/direction servo

I'm in the process of retrofitting a knee mill and I'm starting to consider using the Kflop, but I have a few questions.

1. I have some custom servo drivers of my own design that I'd like to use. They accept a PWM 0-100% duty cycle input and a direction signal. (And yes they really do go to 100% since I'm not using the typical chargepump type gate driver for the high side Fet's.)
    I'd like to just connect the encoders to the Kflop and then output the PWM and dir on just two outputs. Does Kflop support this arrangement?

2. I really need to be able to do rigid tapping. I plan to Use a VFD to drive the spindle motor. Can I get away with adding an encoder to the spindle and have the spindle switch from spindle to servo mode? If so, any recommendations on a VFD and encoder combo that wont break the bank?

3. I plan to do most of the Z-motions with the Quill, but am setting the knee up to be driven as well. I anticipate using to knee during tool changes and to set workpiece and tool height offsets. Does Kflop have any issues with this arrangement?

4. I plan to use Mach3 and may still want to use another I/O solution alongside the Kflop for some of the simpler things, is this a problem?

Thanks.
    Marvin

Hi Marvin,

Regarding:

#1 - KFLOP has (8) 8-bit 3.3V LVTTL PWM outputs that run at 60KHz or can be prescaled slower by a factor of N (1 to 256). KFLOP does not support PWM mode directly. You need a few lines of C code to take the servo output and write to the PWM. This allows all types of PWMs (anti-phase, sign/magnitude, etc...). You might install our software, goto the C Program Screen, and load the PWM1KHz.c and OutputtoPWM3Axis.c examples to see how difficult that would be for you.

#2 - The best method is to have the spindle always operate as a servo. This makes rigid tapping easy and when using it as a "spindle" the axis is simply commanded to "Jog" at a constant speed. This has the benefit of speed feedback and controlled acceleration as well. I think Automation Direct sells reasonably priced VFDs.

#3 - I'm not sure about this, but it should be independent of our controller. If Mach3 handles the offsets suitable for you normally it shouldn't be any different with KFLOP controlling the axes.

#4 - I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to but when using KFLOP there is no Mach3 Parallel port Kernel driver which is what would normally do IO to parallel ports. So you wouldn't be able to use parallel ports. You can still control IO bits from CB Macros and such that reside on KFLOP. Or for example ModBus IO bits.

HTH
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

OK, so Mach will no longer be able to do things through the parallel ports, but will it be able to send or receive anything though the USB? or is Kflop now the ONLY way in or out?

Hi Marvin,

Correct, the Dynomotion Motion Control Plugin replaces the Mach3 Parallel Port Motion Kernel driver. Mach3 doesn't allow more than one motion control device. Our plugin does not talk to the PC parallel port. Mach3 doesn't normally talk USB so I'm not sure I understand. KFLOP has 46 IO pins and additional option cards can be added so IO usually isn't a problem. But another (non-motion) Plugins could potentially control additional IO through the USB, or Ethernet, or Serial Port but I don't really know of any off hand.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Ok thanks, that clears it up. So if I need more I/O I can either use an addon card for the Kflop or use something like a usb breakout board.
    thanks
    Marvin