585,685 active members*
4,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Coding > Notepad++ G CODE EDIT ANY ONE?

Notepad++ G CODE EDIT ANY ONE?

What do you guys use to edit your lathe programs?

I go thru alot of lathe programs and fix them up...

I use Notepad++...

What do you guys use, any one have a notepad ++ gcode syntax filter thing?

A question comes to mind: Why are you having to fix up a lot of lathe programs? (They should be correct the first time.)

Try this editor --- LINK to another CNCzone thread
    - has a graphics window to show toolpaths

Quote Originally Posted by VoKuS View Post
    ...What do you guys use, any one have a notepad ++ gcode syntax filter thing?
    I'd like the same thing. I'm also using Notepad++ to edit my plasma programs after posting, and it works well enough, but a filter would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    A question comes to mind: Why are you having to fix up a lot of lathe programs? (They should be correct the first time.)
    I don't know about the OP, but I haven't found a post that fits my homemade machine. Apparently "homemade" isn't commonly used. J/K! Anyway, because none of the posts I have tried worked, and I haven't figured out how to create my own, I am using a generic one and tweaking it. I don't think it's all that uncommon in the homebrew machine world.

FWIW, I'm using LinuxCNC to run my plasma cutter. So far all of the programs I've used there, I've tested in Mach3 (demo). There are some g-codes that LinuxCNC doesn't like, so I take them out. Every program I've used on LinuxCNC has run on Mach3.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    You may be a perfect man, but I am not.

I just got a new job, and the company used a lot of solid cam to generate most of their programs.

Most of the time you can cut the cycle time in half by just removing air cut.

I just optimize the jobs as I go thru them one by one, make them easy to read, add notes, remove trash, and clean things up.

Nothing to special...

Im a total noob my self...

Quote Originally Posted by VoKuS View Post
    You may be a perfect man, but I am not.

I just got a new job, and the company used a lot of solid cam to generate most of their programs.

Most of the time you can cut the cycle time in half by just removing air cut.

I just optimize the jobs as I go thru them one by one, make them easy to read, add notes, remove trash, and clean things up.

Nothing to special...

Im a total noob my self...
    I am not perfect either. I correct (and add comments to) programs during first run proofing.

That is a legitimate reason to be editing programs at this late stage: They were not correct in the beginning.

If you want syntax filtering and auto-correction (which is what you seem to have implied), it is best to write your own specific to your application. I am not aware of any general software that will allow this to be done automatically. The PERL scripting language might be best for this.

Filtering on Steroids

If you make any consistent changes to G code programs ... or need filtering on steroids ( sorry Lance ) ... a suggestion to check out KipwareXC® at Kentech Inc. - Real World Machine Shop and CNC Software.

Alright...

Thx for the imput...

Il just make my own for Notepad ++

Check out G-Wizard Editor. It has a whole series of g-code revision commands.

GWizard Editor: A G-Code Editor and Simulator

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html