586,024 active members*
3,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Chuck Arbors - Import or...Import?!

Chuck Arbors - Import or...Import?!

So now Jacobs went to China. I need a few R8 to 2JT arbors and a few R8 to 1JT arbors. Too many to find used in good shape. There are cheap Chinese (no name off of eBay), semi-expensive Chinese (enco brand Phase-2), now expensive Chinese (like Jacobs), and the $85 and up versions like lyndex or albrecht (which hopefully aren't Chinese still). In the day it was safe to go Jacobs but now all of them could be made in the same plant. Anyone have better luck with one over the other or us it really just a crap shoot now?

Or...make your own.

It is probably more of a crap shoot.

However don't assume that quality has to go to hell just because a company went to China. First off are they contracting the arbors out or is Jacobs doing them in their own factory. If they built a factory with all new machinery there is a good possibility quality will actually go up. Contractors in China aren't any different than the contractors here, some are decent and ethical others aren't.

The real issue isn't quality anyways, it is all about doing business with a country that really doesn't have our best interest in mind. It is complex because there are plenty of good if not hungery people in China, but I can't help to think their government would screw us over the first time they get a chance. That is the real problem with doing too much business in China.

Yeah, many problems with the setup for sure. I'm not saying that China can't make quality products, I'm sure they can (hell, they're probably machine made anyway). Everyone should eat so it ain't that either. The thing is, we've all noticed a quality drop when things go to china. Likely QC or material related. As a consumer, how do you pick? I can get arbors off of eBay for $10 shipped and, for all I know, they're actually the good ones. Problem is, I don't know if they are or not. This is where outsourcing all falls down for me. You can't judge until you, the consumer, is holding it in your hand (or has already received the service) and at that point you the consumer are the only one who gets screwed.

They are all made to be Jacobs arbors. The ones that fail QC become Phase-II arbors. The ones that fail QC and look funny are the ebay ones.

Just my $.02, not fact.
    Matt

if they are Jacobs arbors they will be made to jacobs standards as jacobs name is on the line , just because they made in china dont mean they no good
    china companys same as other countrys you get good ones an you get the dodgy ones
    why all the china bashing

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    They are all made to be Jacobs arbors. The ones that fail QC become Phase-II arbors. The ones that fail QC and look funny are the ebay ones.

Just my $.02, not fact.
    Matt
    Interesting point. As a mfg, you could meet the contract requirements for min quality but not have to exceed them. IF a mfg could justify the QC expense to check every one, they could certainly sort by quality and deliver on different contracts after one large run. Unlikely that the added QC expense would be worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    Interesting point. As a mfg, you could meet the contract requirements for min quality but not have to exceed them. IF a mfg could justify the QC expense to check every one, they could certainly sort by quality and deliver on different contracts after one large run. Unlikely that the added QC expense would be worth it though.
    That exact method is used to reduce scrap in lots of products. One excellent example is computer chips.

They are all tested and the ones that fail the benchmark are dropped down to a lower clock speed so they pass the test. Individual QC is still cheaper than scrapping finished product.

Matt