584,330 active members*
6,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digital mircometers versus verneer, starrett

Hi, just wandering what everybodys opinions are of the digital micrometers versus verneers, specifically od. Micrometers. I will be purchasing some new tools soon for my job, im looking at the friction thimble 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4's. I havent personally used these digital ones and have only used verneers, are they accurate? How do they hold up to everyday use? I need accuracy, our shop is strictly tool and die work with some of our parts being +/-.0002", most parts being machined/heat treated/ground/hard turned/edm'd. For my job im not required to buy and bigger than a 0-1" but like most shops the "community" tools are garbage junk, and my raises depend on my work being precise as we have tests making more difficult parts as the pay scale progresses.

Sorry not had any experience with digital mics, but if accuracy is what your going for I'd recommend getting you parts close to size with the shops micrometers. then using a surface table with a DTI and slip gauges for final sizing.

Personally I do not think digital mics are better for accuracy and precision. That makes vernier mics the best value hands down.

Thanks for the replies, i wasnt asking if the digitals are more accurate, more so if they are as accurate, im looking at the starretts , also they go down to .00005" .

Yes. The accuracy is there either way. Maybe you are thinking about precision. Precision is dependent on the finest graduation. A mic graduated to 0.0001" will be precise to +/-0.0001". On graduated to 0.00005" will be precise to +/-0.00005".

jimmyjames1981

The digitals by far are the best, I have & use both, I would not go for the Starrett though, Mitutoyo have the best in digital bore gauges micrometers, I don't know if Starrett micrometers are made in the USA anymore

I have a Starrett 0-1 & a Mitutoyo the Mitutoyo is the better of the too to use, Fowler is ok as well

You must remember that most Digitals have both so you can read them just like a normal micrometer, from the barrel/thimble as well as the readout

It's a lot easier/quicker also to read a .0001 or better on digital micrometer

As far as being accurate, that depends on who is using them, but can be more accurate than a standard micrometer
    Mactec54

Im going to go with the starrett friction thimble digital set, gonna order them along with a new interapid test indicator.... i was at my brothers shop and walked by the bench and my damb shirt caught a bur on the plate he was working on and it fell on the floor along with his brand new 3 day old test indicator.... the edge of the plate landed smack dab on the dial and busted it to pieces...... what a horribly expensive mistake.........

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    jimmyjames1981

The digitals by far are the best, I have & use both, I would not go for the Starrett though, Mitutoyo have the best in digital bore gauges micrometers, I don't know if Starrett micrometers are made in the USA anymore

I have a Starrett 0-1 & a Mitutoyo the Mitutoyo is the better of the too to use, Fowler is ok as well

You must remember that most Digitals have both so you can read them just like a normal micrometer, from the barrel/thimble as well as the readout

It's a lot easier/quicker also to read a .0001 or better on digital micrometer

As far as being accurate, that depends on who is using them, but can be more accurate than a standard micrometer
    I know what you mean by "depends on whos using them" back in the day i had the mentality of making my mics and calipers read what i wanted them too....