586,011 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

n00b trying to get into cncing

i guess this question might sound a lil silly to some a ya guys but,
    i really couldnt find an answer anywhere on this forum nore elsewere
    so i decided to waste some a yall guys precious time :

how will mach3 for instance know the exact size of the endmill i'm using(i'm talking bout the length since i have normal endmills as well as extended ones
    wich are the same diameter ofcourse?
    or what size drillchuck i got so it will be able to set the Záxis to the correct height.

is this manually filled in a surtain field in the prog.interface or does your cam software calculate what kind a cutters you should use as it produces your g-codes ?

if my question aint all clear i'ld be happy to refraze.

Quote Originally Posted by ironDigit
    i guess this question might sound a lil silly to some a ya guys but,
    i really couldnt find an answer anywhere on this forum nore elsewere
    so i decided to waste some a yall guys precious time :

how will mach3 for instance know the exact size of the endmill i'm using(i'm talking bout the length since i have normal endmills as well as extended ones
    wich are the same diameter ofcourse?
    or what size drillchuck i got so it will be able to set the Záxis to the correct height.

is this manually filled in a surtain field in the prog.interface or does your cam software calculate what kind a cutters you should use as it produces your g-codes ?

if my question aint all clear i'ld be happy to refraze.
    The answer to your question should be in the Mach 2 instructions. I will leave the details to others with experience on this software.

The controllers do not know the length of any bit in the spindle. You set Z zero to the end of each tool along with the diameter in a tool offset or library that the control will use to compensate motion via the actual path programmed.

The true length of the cutter needs to be considered by the programmer and operator to prevent either programming a depth beyond the tools capacity or the operator selecting a tool shorter than the depth expected for that operation. Thereby making the human interface the de-fact-o brains of the system to prevent conflicts in the machining envelope. That includes chuck diameters, clamps or anything in the path that one would not want a cutter, holder or otherwise to pass through unintentionally.

This type of question is a great reason for dry running a program to verify all is as expected before unleashing the "unknown" onto an unsuspecting machine in your trust. Precisely why there is a feedhold and E-stop on the machine. Stuff happens!

DC

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the reply guys

after reading your clear explanations it even seems logic.

it all ads up to the good ol saying

measure twice !! cut once