585,748 active members*
3,424 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

six conductor shielded cable

I have been having a tough time finding cable for my stepper motors. All the local places here have only 24 guage.Anyone have a good place to buy six conductor shielded cable in either 16, or 18 AWG? My steppers are 2.8 amps per phase, so I figure I need at least 18 guage wire I find plenty of four conductor,etc., but I need 6 conductors. ( help!)

Try e-bay. It is available at times in short lengths of less than 100 or 50 feet.

Also, for a stepper of that size, they usually run 22 gauge wire. Most motors with the push on connectors and rated up to 4.5 Amps use AWG 22. You will need stranded wire due to the flexibility as solid wire will break after a period of time with CNC Axis movement.

If you can't find any on e-bay, you can buy a 100 ft spool from Digi-Key. I can't remember the price per spool, but it is not overly expensive.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you DO NOT have to use shielded wire for the steppers if you do not run the motor wiring close to the driver power wires or the breakout board wiring. The stepper motor wiring should be at least 2 inches away from other wiring. However, the connections from the breakout board to the imput of the drivers are best sheilded.

Jerry

Cool try Action Electronics.

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Thanks alot! I had found some 4 conductor on ebay. I was not sure about the wire size,and I probably always use too big of wire. Right now they are wired with 14 guage trailer ribbon! It is working ok,I just wanted to make it look better/more finished.I am finishing up a 600 watt power supply,and want to install case conectors,etc. so I thought I would go with cable.
    Thanks to this group(and Mr Widgetmaster,) It should work out.

If your still looking I have some 16 guage, 6 conductor shielded twisted pair wiring for .99 per yard on ebay, any quantity you want, just search for "shielded twisted" and it will pop up.
    Dean

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcmmach
    If your still looking I have some 16 guage, 6 conductor shielded twisted pair wiring for .99 per yard on ebay, any quantity you want, just search for "shielded twisted" and it will pop up.
    Dean
    Thanks,I will get some! :banana:
    Craig

I had seen this ad,but it says it is 4 conductor.Do you have 6 conductor?
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by mcmmach
    Dean

MCM - Looked on eBay for this wire and didn't find anything except 4 conductor, 16 ga. wire. Maybe I did an incorrect search.

Sorry guys, I didn't know that all the 6 conductor cable sold last week, the only cable we have left is the 4 conductor.
    (Even the boss doesn't know what's going on all the time)
    Dean

22 awg is all you need. 16awg is overkill, i run 3a steppers on 22awg and that is what came with them when i purchased the motors.

060123-1618 EST USA

From "Reference Data for Radio Engineers" fourth edition ITT Corp. the following data is for #22 copper wire:

16.14 Ohms per 1000 ft from page 51.
    41.2 Amps fusing current, but highly dependent upon heat loss, from page 55.

A total length of 20 ft would be 0.32 Ohms. At 5 Amps this is a drop of 1.6 Volts. That would put the motor 10 ft from the motor controller.

For information on wire go to www.belden.com .

Cool

I agree, 22-AWG is all you need!
    Take another look at action-electronics.com
    they have everything at fantastic prices!
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!