585,717 active members*
3,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bonmet Servo Drive Setup

I recently took delivery of 3 Bonmet AC Servo drives and motors to replace the aging DC system on my router. All the hardware is now installed and I've built a new control panel, now also fully wired to the machine. So far I've managed to get the Y and Z axis working although some tuning is still required, but I cannot get any movement from the X motor. When I power up the machine and hit "Ref all home" on the Mach 3 screen the z and Y axis do reference ok but all I get from the X motor is a load of whining. It's got to be something to do with the setup parameters for the motor but I'm at a complete loss as to what to change to get started. Any ideas? I've tried emailing Bonmet directly but am getting no response. Also can somone point me in the direction of a simple guide to servo tuning as this too is a bit of a black art to me at the moment. Any assistance would be very gratefully received.
    Bob.
    I hope I've not just built a very heavy and expensive paper weight!

BMWFLYER

Does the motor lock up when you power it up, Most likely just a Parameter to change in the drive, did you set them all for position mode, did you try just moving the motor from the drive (jog Mode) If you look at the manual you will see how to jog from the drive, & not from Mach

Once you have this all working then you will know that the motor & drive is working, then set the parameters for the control ( Mach ) to run the drive
    Mactec54

Thanks for the swift reply, I have set the drives to position mode and matched the motor to the drive. The problem is that I have no basic config file to get me started. I used the setup parameter file from the Y and Z drives which at least works with the smaller motors then just changed the Motor spec parameter. I'm totally lost as to where to go from here. Give me back my DC analog servos I say, I understood them just fine!

One other thing with AC drives is to ensure the 3 phases and the commutation is matched, if you have any one out of sync it can cause similar problems to what you are seeing, IOW, make sure motor cables are connected correctly.
    If they have plug in connectors you can swap a motor easily and check to see if the same occurs.
    It can easily happen with those that make their own cables up.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

BMWFLYER

You will need to get it running in Jog mode,which you should have done before you,pluged into the control

Do a Restore Default Parameters, Power off connect the motor, Power on, then go into Jog mode, get your motor running in jog mode before you connecet to the control

I'm sure they have software that you can jog/setup the drive to do this as well
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    One other thing with AC drives is to ensure the 3 phases and the commutation is matched, if you have any one out of sync it can cause similar problems to what you are seeing, IOW, make sure motor cables are connected correctly.
    If they have plug in connectors you can swap a motor easily and check to see if the same occurs.
    It can easily happen with those that make their own cables up.
    Al.
    Al, I'm pretty sure the motor is connected correctly as I'm using a pre assembled lead supplied wih the motor and drive. In the Bonmet Servofly application which is used to set paramters, I can do an "Automatch" which rotates the motor slowly, asks which direction it's turning then goes through a series of forward and reverse rotations to set the no. of poles and encoder resolution etc. All this works faultlessly so leads me to believe all is connected correctly.