584,812 active members*
5,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak with Mazatrol controls

Do you know anyone who can help me.. Can someone send me a video or a link to Learn how to setup and run a Mazak 200 M and a Mazak 150 Super Quick Turn ...These are 1997 machines with Mazatrol controls ... I'm used to Gcode and it seems these are different. It is conversational . Thanks for your time . You can email or post here . Phil

I see you got yerself a thread! Good.

Your company has got to have manuals ... !?!
    They are invaluable. Really.
    How would you know which parameters to shift if you've changed to a different chuck or tailstock?
    What if you're switching from a big boring bar to a little bitty boring bar... and the retract amount is the difference between just clearing (with the proper parameter) or removing the boring bar with the inside of the part??

How's that for an incentive for management to have manuals??

As for G vs. Mazatrol.... you have to do one or the other, and that's at the beginning of the program when you write it. Can't do both......BUT....

Within a Mazatrol program, within a "unit" (as Mazak calls an operation) you can invoke and write single line commands using regular G-code!!! It's useful when you need unique moves for clearance, or whatever and Mazatrol just doesn't wanna do it (which is often enough). So for the time being, just focus on learning Mazatrol... especially if everything's already done in it.

One really neat trick is that you can take a Unit that is already proven, copy and paste it into the program you're working on, and just edit it to suit!...

... enough for now!

Wanna know an easy way to crash a tool into the spindle??? Have the wrong Change Point selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird88 View Post
    Do you know anyone who can help me.. Can someone send me a video or a link to Learn how to setup and run a Mazak 200 M and a Mazak 150 Super Quick Turn ...These are 1997 machines with Mazatrol controls ... I'm used to Gcode and it seems these are different. It is conversational . Thanks for your time . You can email or post here . Phil
    Tool Eye
    (index the tool to the desired tool position by using the command line, not just by indexing the turret....You've got tools 1-12 PLUS A-Z descriptions for each tool... but in command line you'll use the numeric equivalent of the alpha character... i.e. C=3)
    From 'Position' press 'Tool Data'. Make sure turret is up in or by the home position and clear. Hit 'MSR Unit On'
    Scroll down to Active Tool Position, press appropriate <- or -> button and highlight 'Tool Set X' or 'Tool Set Z' so that the window displays TOOL SET - X (OR Z) <TEACH>?

Handwheel jog (CAREFULLY!) the tool to position it close to the sensor button (maybe .1" away at first) and press ' TOOLSET MEASURE'....
    NOTE: Feedrate button will switch to x1, the slowest feedrate... MAKE SURE IT DOES!!!

Press and hold job button THE Z or X jog button in the direction of desired travel till sensor LED goes out and you hear the beep. Depress the OPPOSITE arrow key to move the tool away from the sensor...
    Then you can change the feedrate back to x10 or x100... BE CAREFUL OF DIRECTION!!!

Since there are so many tool possible descriptions, it's a very good idea to keep a log of what physical tools are assigned to which designations....
    ie: T3 G is right hand turning tool, CNMG432 insert ....Sandvik #.... blah, blah, blah....

You won't believe how much headache and time this can save.
    Good luck.