584,808 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Turret front or back?

My company is about to commit to ordering a new ML26 lathe. We can order it with the turret placed either on the front or the back side of the cross-slide. I have no experience with a flat bed CNC, only slant beds with the turret in back, but up high. We run those machines with right hand tools, CCW rotation, cutting "upside down". How is tool visibility on the back side on the flatbed? Will some of you folks that have run flat beds please post a comment or two to help me decide where to have the turret placed?:cheers:

front or back turrett

IMO If you are used to programming slants, pick the rear turrett. It keeps every thing eqaual in your programming. It also keeps the turrett out of your way when changing parts etc.

If you had just had experience with manual lathes then the front turrent would be more familiar to you.

What Sportybob said.

Smile

It is a lot easier to set up and teach tooling with a front mount turret. Make sure you get the hand held remote so that you can get closer to see if you get the back mounted turret. one advantage of the back mount is the ability to mount a dorian tool post on the front to hold heavy hogging boring bars. please tell us about the work you will be doing on this machine and is this the first CNC lathe in your shop.
    Good Luck
    The Farmer