586,000 active members*
4,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport Interact Series 1 TNC2500-Water in Spindle Advice?

Bridgeport Interact Series 1 TNC2500-Water in Spindle Advice?

Hello All,
    I've been lurking on the forum for some time, and thanks to everyone for all of the great information.

I recently purchased a Series 1 Interact with TNC2500 control, vari-speed pully. The mill is in excellent condition, after being hauled across the country. The mill had been hauled on a flatbed trailer, with the mill covered in plastic (at least I was told that) for the long trip. In transferring the mill from the flatbed, to a rollback wrecker, and into the shop, it probably took 1-1.5 hours, mostly in heavy rain. Suspicious that there may be some moisture, I took the pully housing off the top, and opened up the z-axis covers and stuck hot air guns inside for a day or so. I didn't see any signs of any significant moisture.

During the course of about 3 weeks, I cleaned up the machine, checked all electrical connections, tested the controller, and fixed the CRT display which had an intensity variation problem right to left (fixed that by replacing the electrolytic caps on the display board), ran the spindle etc.

So, I go out yesterday to install the repaired CRT, and rotate the spindle by hand a bit, and there is some water dripping out what appears to be around the spindle (not quill). I ran the mill for an hour or so at various RPM , exercised the z-axis some, and after turning off the mill, a bit more water dripped out of the same place. I'd guess a total of a tablespoon or two of water total. The strange thing is that I didn't see any water until after about 3 weeks of fiddling with the mill. The bearings are quiet. So the only thing I can guess is that some water entered the head pully vent, and slowly made it's way (somehow) between the quill and spindle. I have cross-sectional drawing of the head, but it's unclear how water entering the head thru the head vent could make it's way down and appear over the course of weeks.

I was inquiring if the the knowledgeable folks here could advise what to do. Will a small amount of water harm the sealed spindle bearings, or should I remove the spindle or just leave it alone. Is there likely trapped water that will corrode and/or seep into the bearings or other areas, etc. The spindle is very quiet and in "like new" shape. What's the general opinion on bearings on these mills; for example this has bearings that are likely in excellent condition, but the grease is 15+ years old.

I'll post some pics and the electrical schematic for this mill in case of use to others.
    Thanks in advance for the help, Charles

IF it is the standard bridgeport spindle it comes out very easily, loosen set screw unscrew collar. Might be worth looking at. I think it more likely, again if it is the standard CNC head that water from up above anywhere is vibrating to the lowest point ends up in the quill housing and into the quill itself.

A source of water can be a bad air source. So if you have a power draw bar, speed change air motor, or such can leak air and water into the head which then will go to the lowest point.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

gus and george, thanks for the replies and suggestions. I wrapped a band heater around the quill and heated it up to about 70C for a day or so, and stuck the hotair gun in the head again. I haven't seen any more water, so I guess whatever relatively small amount got in the head took that long to migrate. I also doublechecked the air source (it has the air-motor speedchanger). I'ts probably OK, and won't be seeing any more showers in the forseeable future. Thank you, Charles