585,894 active members*
4,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Not for Nerds only: MK802 II

VVV This thread got me thinking and researching! VVV
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/linuxc...y_pi_emc2.html

So I just purchased a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/MK802-Android-1-5GHZ-Games-1080P/dp/B0098W0LC8"]Amazon.com: MK802 II Android 4.0 PC TV Box A8 1.5GHZ WIFI HDMI 3D Games,1080P: Electronics[/ame]

There are other versions but this is the one I chose.

I have never ran LinuxCNC, but am looking forward to switching over, or atleast testing it. I'm not really sure what this all involves yet, but didn't see anything about the MK802 on this forum, so hopefully I open the creative drawer in others minds.

First issue is figuring out how to connect to a breakout board...
    MESA 7I80DB?

Follow along if your interested.

I was looking at something similar, an mk808. You mentioned being new to LinuxCNC, so you may not realize that it is basically only x86 compatible. There has been a port to ARM, which the mk802 is, but nothing like a properly maintained branch exists for ARM yet. The Raspbery Pi etc has sparked a lot of conversation, but porting the real time bits to ARM and getting the required performance hasn't happened.
    My thought for the mk808 was to try it with this, it's a port of LinuxCNC and a USB dongle that offloads the realtime bits from the computer. I've asked the developer if he thinks it would work on ARM, and he's not sure if it's been done.
    Anyway welcome to LinuxCNC and good luck.

Pete

I forgot about this, actually I sent it back for a refund as its a big pile of garbage. Luckily Amazon is good with refunds.