585,744 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 25 789101119
    Don't know if this is where you got it but this page is full of OEM codes, hotkeys, etc.
    Main Page - MachCustomizeWiki
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Chris' G0704 build

Yep, that was were I found the codes.

I rewired my touch plates with shielded wire and cleaned up all of the wiring today. I got finally ATLO working with MSM. I can't wait to cut some parts with it.

Chris

I've been using Mach Standard Mill for the last couple weeks and really like it. The ALTO features are worth the price alone. I've also been using the remote touch plate to set my part Z. Overall it's have made setting up and running parts alot easier. The set up flow does take some getting used to though. In my case I have to mount the master tool in the physically and in the MDI. Then do a touch off the part's top surface. The mount my edge finder and find the X- Y- edges. Then load the G code and start the run.

I've been making some shock tools for RC cars over the last couple weeks. The 4000 rpm top speed of the belt drive conversion has really improved my cycle times. It has helped out so much that I've decided to get off my butt and get the treadmill motor up and running so i can get that 6500rpm top end. I purchased a KBMM-225 off eBay and I'll be ordering C3 and C6 boards from CNC4PC soon. I saw a slick 2 piece clamp type motor mount in someone's thread here and I'll use that idea to mount the motor onto Hoss's base.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo4.jpg   photo3.jpg  

I've attached a pdf file with the treadmill motor base plate I came up with.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, last night I ran into an ugly problem. I was running a batch of parts and had just changed tools. The machine cut the first part and then X rapided to the next part. It made it about 90% of the way and then I heard the motor stall. I tried it again with the same result. I was able to rapid past that point without a problem though. This morning I tried cutting those parts starting from the opposite end and made it through the first part, but then it stalled on the rapid to the next.

So, there must be a chip in the X ballnut. I'm needed to remove the table and saddle to finish installing the ball nut oiler lines anyway, but I was hoping to finish this batch of parts before I did. :tired:

Chris' G0704 build

Any update on the cause? Had you been successful running this part file prior? Or was this the first set? What CAD program are you using? CamBam by any chance?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Chris' G0704 build

I cleaned up the screws, readjusted the gib and oiled the ballnuts. It still stalled in the same spot int the code, even doing an air cut on a different place on the table. I lowered the rapid speeds from 120 to 90ipm and it seems to have fixed it. I can hear an occasional click from the screw, so there might be something in the nut, but I was able to run 4 sets of parts through that program without any errors this morning. I'm SheetCam.

Chris' G0704 build

Btw: It was the first run for that side of this part. I've got 4 programs that do different cutouts on these same parts. They all have the same space between parts. This was the only one that had problems with rapids.

How did you establish you rapid speed? With steppers, it's NEVER the fastest speed you can achieve. You find the fastest speed you can, seemingly, do reliably, then back off from that value, both velocity and acceleration, by a LOT. A 30-50% reduction from "max" values is typical.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Chris' G0704 build

I had a problem with CamBam at 1 place running a particular file. Never could figure out why. I backed my rapids down to work with that file. It wasn't necessary on anything else. I don't like to make changes in my max speeds to accommodate my software. The machine showed no errors at 200 ipm and over but would stall at 70 in this run. I am hesitant to use CB even though I enjoyed its ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I had a problem with CamBam at 1 place running a particular file. Never could figure out why. I backed my rapids down to work with that file. It wasn't necessary on anything else. I don't like to make changes in my max speeds to accommodate my software. The machine showed no errors at 200 ipm and over but would stall at 70 in this run. I am hesitant to use CB even though I enjoyed its ease of use.
    That's not a CAM problem.... No matter what the G-code says, it is Mach3's responsibility to deal with it, and operate within the defined limits of machine performance. If G-code makes the machine stall, EVER, then you have one or more of these problems:

1) There is a problem with the machine - gibs too tight, inadeqaute lubrication, weak power supply, damaged motor, failing driver, bad wiring, etc.

2) Your motor tuning settings are too aggressive, and are outside the true dynamic capability of the hardware (i.e. - the settings are wrong). See my previous post re: allowing motor tuning "margin".

3) Mach3 is screwing up, and commanding a move that violates the limits in the motor tuning settings - this has happened several times in the past.

The way to pin down the cause is to isolate the move that causes the problem, then try doing things like reducing velocity and acceleration - a LOT - to see if it goes away. Try executing the same move at different locations on the machines travel, to see if it occurs at a specific machine position, or if it is the move itself that induces the failure. If it always occurs at a specific machine position, then there IS a problem with the machine hardware. If it occurs at the same position within the move, regardless of where that moves takes place on the machine travels, then it is almost certainly a Mach3 problem or a tuning problem. Again, reducing velocity and acceleration can help point the finger at one or the other. If reducing by a lot them makes no difference, then it is almost certainly a Mach3 problem.

Regards,
    Ray L.

chris, you've stated that your machine has no problem making the rapid move in other programs and even the same program and that it repeats the stall at the same place. logic dictates that there is an error in your code at that point. inspect your code to see if the cam program threw in a move, number etc. that shouldn't be there. if it looks ok change the g0 to a feed move, g01f? instead to see that goes better.
    walt

Once again, it is *impossible* for CAM to cause a stall, no matter what code it generates, without there being something wrong with the machine hardware or electronics, over-aggressive motor tuning settings, or a bug in Mach3.

Regards,
    Ray L.

heard your opinion already kabibble, nothing is *impossible* as my decades of machining experience has seen. you really don't know everything.

Chris' G0704 build

I know my machine can and does work accurately at speeds well above what the particular CamBam file would stall on. The code had no obvious lines that would cause the issue. It would repeat at the same place every time. I never had that issue running BobCad. I haven't had the problem since. I will continue to use CamBam with apprehension til proven otherwise. Kind of like a pistol I have, I like its fit and finish, I like its accuracy but it has misfired. It won't be my go to gun ever again most likely. It has now been to a master gunsmith and might be error free from here on out but the trust is gone. Same way with CB.

Ray,

I think I still have a video on youtube of the table moving around at 330ipm. I was running for a short while at 240ipm and 30 accel but the Z would miss a step once in a while at those settings. Then I set the accel to 12 and it ran fine like that for a while. I finally decided that I really didn't need the table flying around that fast so I set it to 120ipm and 3 accel. I have been using the machine almost daily for the last 2+ months and have made over a hundred parts on it. Almost all of those parts had a front and back side setup to boot. This is the first time I've seen this issue. I've had alot of broken tools and dinged parts, but 99% of those have been operator error.

I ran the next program for those parts this afternoon with the same 90ipm and 3 accel and had zero problems with the machine.

I have to say SheetCam has been a great tool to learn on. It is great for whipping out 2d parts. Even 2d parts with multiple fixtures has been relatively easy. I don't know that I will stick with it forever though.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    How did you establish you rapid speed? With steppers, it's NEVER the fastest speed you can achieve. You find the fastest speed you can, seemingly, do reliably, then back off from that value, both velocity and acceleration, by a LOT. A 30-50% reduction from "max" values is typical.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I finished the run of parts on Saturday without any further problems.

On to the next project. I've decided that it's time to upgrade the motor and controller before I start another production run. I bought a KBMM-225 from eBay for the extravagant sum of $35. I already have a 2.6hp treadmill motor and pulley. All I need to do is machine the mount and wire up the controller. I'm going to move all of the electronics to 19" x 20" x 7" rack mount enclosure while I'm at it. I'll add a spindle speed control board later on. So far I've done 99% of my cutting at top RPM but it might be nice to have in the future.

ChrisAttebery Guest
    Last night I decided that I should benchmark the cutting speeds and feeds of my machine with the stock motor and belt drive before I convert over to the treadmill motor. The treadmill motor should have about 50% more RPM that the stock motor, but it should be ~2x as powerful too. If so I should be able to take deeper cuts as well as increasing my feeds.

I decided to use my trusty 3/8" 3F Best Carbide aluminum cutting end mill as the guinea pig. I use this end mill for most of my hogging operations. I made a series of slotting passes on a solid block of 6061 aluminum. The passes started at .040" and went up to .120". I stopped any pass where I could hear the motor start to bog to the point that I though tit might stall. These are the numbers where I felt the machine could reasonably sustain the cut without overheating or stalling the motor:

IPM - IPT - Depth - MRR
    18 - .0015" - .100" - .68
    24 - .002" - .080" - .72
    30 - .0025" - .060" - .68
    36 - .003" - .050" - .68

I should have done this a couple months ago as I've been really conservative with this end mill. Usually I run it at 18IPM and .060" DOC. That's at least 40% lower MRR than I could have used.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by waltpermenter View Post
    heard your opinion already kabibble, nothing is *impossible* as my decades of machining experience has seen. you really don't know everything.
    You're missing the point. Its the controllers job to limit performance, at ALL TIMES. Even if something is wrong in the g-code, its the controllers job to stop it from being an issue. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    .......I've decided that it's time to upgrade the motor and controller.........
    Is it too soon to enquire on the motor upgrade progress
    Eoin

Page 9 of 25 789101119