585,752 active members*
3,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Startup Tooling Advise for new DT-1

Startup Tooling Advise for new DT-1

Hello Group-

My new Haas DT-1 is arriving next week along with an IR screw compressor and Chick System 5 modular work holding system! This group really helped me in deciding on the TCS option. Don't worry, pics will be provided for this unboxing!

I really hate my analysis-paralysis affliction :idea: so I'm looking for some advise on what tool holders, cutters the group recommends I start off with. You know, some of those 'you should always have at least the following...' hints would be great. I truly value the collective wisdom of the experts on this forum!

Here are a few features about the machine that will matter:

• 12K BT 30 spindle @ 15 HP
    • Through spindle coolant @ 300 PSI
    • High speed machining
    • Renishaw Wireless Probe System

The parts I will be cutting for my first job have the following characteristics:
    • 3" x 5" x 1/2" 6061 aluminum
    • About 70% of material is removed with a single 0.400 deep pocket
    • About a dozen 1/8" thru holes
    • About a dozen 4-40 threaded holes (blind)
    • About a dozen 6-32 threaded holes (thru)

Just looking for some recommendations on brand quality especially. I just got back into machining and its been a few years since I was involved with these decisions. We used to use Parlec holders and Sanvik cutters a lot without issue.

One more thing, cycle time is everything and I don't have any apprehension to use something new on the market.

Thanks advance guys!

Let's see. You will need an 1/8" drill. A #43 drill. A #4-40 tap. A #36 drill. A #6-32 tap. A 1/2" 3 flute carbide end mill. Then you will need tool holders for all of them. ER collet holders would probably be best. ER-16 for the smaller tools. ER-32 for the 1/2" end mill. Then you will need the collets for all the shank sizes of the tools. Since you did not say you will be facing the material, there is no need for a face mill. Since you did not say what size the inside corner radius is for the pocket, there is no need for a different size end mill for that. Be sure to order pull studs for your tool holders. Best of luck.

Don't forget the wrenches! Lol.
    I'd add ER-11 tool holders and collets if you are going close to fixture walls or a rotary. The castle nut version (they are slightly smaller in diameter).
    Probably don't need the ER-16 tap collets for that small size tap but what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Don't forget the wrenches! Lol.
    I'd add ER-11 tool holders and collets if you are going close to fixture walls or a rotary. The castle nut version (they are slightly smaller in diameter).
    Probably don't need the ER-16 tap collets for that small size tap but what the heck.
    Yeah, I have found I prefer not to use tap collets on anything under 1/2" because I would prefer the tap slip in the collet instead of snap off in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Be sure to order pull studs for your tool holders.
    Make sure they are TSC pull studs.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Make sure they are TSC pull studs.
    Good point. Make sure the tool holders are for TSC also.

I bought a DT-1 earlier this year and it is a great machine. First I bought one of those toolholder kits from techniks off of eBay, this will get you making parts. I think it was about 1200 dollars. Nice toolholders but they are not US made. The rest of the toolholders came from Maritool. I bought a bunch of collet holders, all are er-20, gives you the most versitility, and couple sets of collets, a handful of collets in the standard sizes like 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, and a shellmill holder. With the bt30 you are limited to a few brands that actually sell them. I have had very good luck with maritool and would highly recommend there products. Made in the USA.

I bought a DT-1 earlier this year and it is a great machine. First I bought one of those toolholder kits from techniks off of eBay, this will get you making parts. I think it was about 1200 dollars. Nice toolholders but they are not US made. The rest of the toolholders came from Maritool. I bought a bunch of collet holders, all are er-20, gives you the most versitility, and couple sets of collets, a handful of collets in the standard sizes like 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, and a shellmill holder. With the bt30 you are limited to a few brands that actually sell them. I have had very good luck with maritool and would highly recommend there products. Made in the USA.